Are hammocks any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I have a DD hammock and think it's awesome - however, it's just too heavy at 1.2kg. If I was walking on the flat or good and close to the car I'd consider it but anywhere hilly it's not worth the haulin'

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
You don't need to use an underblanket to insulate your back, just a Karrimat or similar will do, particularly for UK 3 season use. And I just use my normal sleeping bag to sleep in and a normal tarp over the hammock.

If you do it this way the only difference between your tree-dwelling rig and your ground-dwelling rig is the hammock itself and the tapes etc to suspend it. So you've got the choice of both worlds at minimal extra weight and cost.

Underblankets and overblankets are nice, but not essential for enjoyment of hammocking :D Kit junkies take note!

HTH

Rat

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Ratbag and and Davey, do you included this time of year in that statement. Only ask because I was out hammocking last week with a slim airic, 58 sleeping bag plus tarp and I got chilled through.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Ratbag and and Davey, do you included this time of year in that statement. Only ask because I was out hammocking last week with a slim airic, 58 sleeping bag plus tarp and I got chilled through.

It snowed here last weekend - it is winter y'know :D.

Was your back noticably cold? Or was it the sleeping bag itself that wasn't up to it?

Rat

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track

I start using the hammock from spring onwards so will start using it in the next few weeks. 3 season bag and I have no worries. But I sleep hot anyway.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
One other thing, DD travel hammocks on the ground are great! My kit is normally a DD hammock (not waterproof base,) kip mat, underblanket, sleeping bag and goretex bivvy bag. (I only take the underblanket if there definitely are trees or I have the space) If there are no trees you can set up your hammock on the deck, the net is brilliant for keeping the midgies off when bivvying on the deck, like this (image from DDhammocks);

DD%20Travel%20Hammock%207.jpg

A must for camping in scotland in midgie season!

Cheers,

Alan

May 14, 2009
Coventry
I have a much better nights sleep in a hammock than laying on the ground in a tent. Used both a DD and a Hennesy. Prefer the Hennesy for ease of entry. No zips to do up after you get comfortable. However some people think that bottom entry is claustophobic.

I second the view that you can get away without an underblanket. Just use a sleeping mat until you can afford something better.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think the cold affects people differently so there's no right or wrong way with hammocks I've found. Personally I need an underblanket in Scottish winters where I do most of my camping, in summer I use a 3/4 thermarest though.

Rich^uk

Feb 4, 2010
England
i'm 6' 2" 13 stone and use a dd frontline, Oh Vee inflatable full length mat and a Higlander echo 350 sleeping bag with a dd tarp (i'm like some sort of dd advertisement when out haha). in early jan I was in -12 and was toasty warm. last weekend I was in -6 and had the sleeping bag open and was still toasty warm. does suck when you have to get out in the morning.

But I can understand that it's all preference and each to his/her own. looking forward to my first use of hammock in the warmer weather. :D. Seems I did it all backwards but by god I learnt quickly how to setup and keep warm/dry. Summer should be a complete doddle.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
It must be just me and outdoor sleeping makes me cold. Indoors i'm kicking off the covers. Oh well I'll just carry on, and i've made an underblanket that'll try in a couple of weeks.

Hangman

Tenderfoot
I'd second Barn Owl, the waterproof DD Hammock is terrible for condensation - I sent mine back to exchange for the Frontline - far better IMO. The waterproof one IMO is a gimmick - the material isn't heavy enought to take being used as a bivi bag on a regular basis.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I do like the idea of a hammock, but in general I’m too tall and heavy to contemplate ever getting one and anyway, by the time you have all the extra bits it’s the size of a small tent when packed (I think).

However, what really puts me off is how I imagine you sleep in one. I thrash about all night and tend to sleep in a position that you find outlined around corpses at the bottom of tall buildings, the notion of being bolted into a Smarty tube for the night is awful to me. Are there any fitful sleepers out there that are comfy in a hammock?

I sleep on my front in my hammock, no problems.

No, the ground is more comfortable and simpler to set up.

I can put up my Vango Force 10 in five mins.

(things with bendy poles take longer)

and its always there...as a rule

Hammock is up in 5 mins too. I also have tents with bendy poles that go up in less time.

I don't see the appeal. I sleep on the floor. Easier to get up for a wee and more sociable to be next to friends/family.

Some of us don't need to get up for a wee in the night........yet. :D

archie3

May 9, 2007
LANCASHIRE
I am 6ft 5ins and weigh 17 stone and I find my DD Travel hammock is more than comfortable. Far better than a basha and bivvy on the ground.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE