Arctic Circle, solo. (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent, just excellent :D
Son1 speaks Finnish.........I've just sent him a link to this thread, he might be in touch Doc :D

Thanks for sharing,
cheers,
Mary

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
That was Brill.

I have a Finnish Auntie. She goes back every year.

Dads been to Finland, he likes it.

I like finnish sausage too.

But No, Ive never been abroad. Im happy here.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Great thread!

A proper adventure. Real inspirational stuff.

The foties definately give your trip an alone in the widerness feel.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Wow, looks great.
And easier to get too, it seems, than London is...

How did you find the tempratures? We are still getting down to freezing here overnight, it would be nice to think the artic circle was warmer :rolleyes:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Excellent thread and pics, thanks for sharing.

I worked with a few Finnish guys in Sweden, and as you said, they seemed very reserved at first. They never turned out to be the most gregarious of people, but once we'd been introduced and met a few times around site, they were very friendly. I also found them to be very hardworking and technically clued up.
When I got home from Sweden, there was word of a job starting on a power station in Finland, but my wife objected to me working abroad again while our kids are so young. I'll get there one day though.

Cheers, Michael.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The Finns are undoubtedly great guys. In particular, they seem to have a natural talent for engineering - and engineers are held in high regard.

I think my pictures make it look more intrepid than it really was - at least when on the trail. Trails are very well marked - they have to be, because in winter they become skiing or snowshoeing trails. So there are usually either posts or red ribbons or orange paint on the trees. Also mobile phone coverage is noticeably better than in Scotland's wild country. The land is much flatter than Scotland and hiking is comparatively easy. Off trail is difficult because of frequent bogs - Scotland is often like that too but I definitely thought Finland was boggier. And, of course, you do have to be careful to avoid injury when hiking solo.

There were mosquitos rather than midges - not too bad just now but I still got a few bites, and I reacted more to them than I do to Scottish midge bites.

Organising a trip like this is much easier than you might think. The Foresty service have an excellent website here: http://www.luontoon.fi/page.asp?Section=4977

Bus and rail timetables are readily available on line, and Ryanair were pretty efficient with the flights.

I'd expected 12 degrees during the day and 0 to 5 at night. I got 26 degrees in daytime, and about 15 at night.

Kit list was Sabre 45 rucsac, Vango Helium tent, 2 season down bag, brasslite alcohol stove, titanium mug and spork, nalgene water bottle, Thermarest Neoair sleeping mat (seriously good kit, the Neoair), Snugpak elite insulated jacket, Grohmann #3 Boat Knife, Laplander saw, Craghopper rainjacket, Fjallraven trousers and le Chameau Mouflon hunting boots. Pack weight was 10kg but this included a kilogram of beer.

Some shelters have a spring, but with others you use the river

pewing

Forest

th_DSCF1734.jpg

Trail
th_DSCF1721.jpg

Duckboard trail
th_DSCF1783.jpg

Carved snow goggles in the Arcticum museum
th_DSCF1708.jpg

Last edited:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The nice high quality axe reminded me of the ones I sometimes see in Swedish shelters; theftproof by virtue of being barely better than no axe.

The marked trails are a nice way to start out hiking in a new region. You know that the route in sane, you will have a hard time getting lost, and there is often open faced shelters and firepits that you can use. Not exactly wild camping (and the hard wooden floors kills my back), but one can always use them as backup in case your initial shelter plains fail to work. If you go while local schools are still in session you will often have them to yourself as well (but autumn is moose hunting season; you'd be quite safe, but not so lonely, and you might annoy some hunters).

In mosquito season I've seen people bring "tropical" style nets and suspend them from the ceiling of the shelters (get the "nordic" rather than "tropical" mesh or the smallest minions of Satan will still get through).

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
ausome trip is what that looks like and it also looks like a hammock would work as well am i right doc
would love to do something like that cheers for posting

Hammock would certainly work well -there were plenty of suitable trees.

You can camp pretty much anywhere in Finland under All mans right but fires are only allowed with permission. Metsahallitus allow fires at designated spots in most national parks/hiking areas, as long as the fire ban is not in effect. Fires are also allowed in certain state owned wilderness areas - info on Metsahallitus web site.

In Arctic Circle you can camp anywhere, but are encouraged to use the existing shelter sites.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE