Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody

Forager
Hi all,

We are now starting to finalise plans for the expedition and need to know who, if any one, needs what from the in-country rental kit. To that end could you please email us at the Bushcraft Expeditions office stating what you require and your sizes where applicable.

Items on offer are boots (Please send European boot size), sleeping bags, and snow/Skidoo suits. Costs for the rental of items are stated on the BCUK web site and monies are payable direct (in Norwegian Kroner only) direct to the supplier in country on collection.

There are limited amounts and sizes of equipment so it will be on a first come basis.

Also, could those not requiring any equipment please send an email to this effect (a nil return) so that we know that everyone has received this message and that no one turns up without the kit expecting to get it there.

Regards

Woody

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hey guys,

Im after any good info on flights and hotels ect...

I already have the Oslo to Bardufoss flights booked ok.

Question 1. what sort of price are people paying for return flights uk to Norway.

Question 2. Has anyone actually managed to book a flight to on the 14th and 20th.

Question 3. Has anyone found any good cheap hotels next to the OSL Airport as it looks as if i will have to stay over 1 night on 13th and 1 night on the 21st... what sort of cost ect....

Im flying from Glasgow but Klm only get in 20 minutes or so before the connecting flight so thats a no no.. it would be good if a few of us stayed in the same hotel if we are having to stay over extra days..

All the best Colin....

Gailainne

Life Member
:eek: I'm afraid the only bit I've booked so far is the same as yours the Oslo Bardufoss bit :rolleyes: trying to sort out flights without spending nights either end is a nightmare. The flight from LHR to Oslo is fine its getting to Heathrow in time that's the problem, I think I may end up flying BMI, Its an early start from Edinburgh 06:30 but it gives me time to check out the sport shops in Oslo before they close, from what I remember last time they are shut on a Sunday. I've stayed at the Opera house before so will probably stay there again, it's just beside the train terminal, but its not cheap.

The flight back is as bad, even if we catch the BA flight back to LHR from Oslo (1 hr 5mins), to be frank catching an international flight in 65 mins will be bloody tight, I don't know if Norwegian and BA have a baggage handling agreement, but I'll be checking that out before I make any bookings, If no one else has ?

It's less than 2 hrs to catch the last flight up to Edinburgh, that should be easier, they are both BA so should have internal baggage transfer, unless customs dictates we offload our bags :(, both flights are in terminal 5 tho, which should make life slightly less complicated.

If I decide the 17:10 BA flight is too tight I'll catch the later 20:50 flight and spend the night with family in London, flying back to Edinburgh on Sunday, with a hangover no doubt :D

Cheers

Stephen

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
cheers Stephen, ive got the same problem, my best bet seems to be with KLM from Glasgow, but i will have to go early and stay over a night too. i guess i will try to get a hotel close to the airport..

Colin

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
cheers Stephen, ive got the same problem, my best bet seems to be with KLM from Glasgow, but i will have to go early and stay over a night too. i guess i will try to get a hotel close to the airport..

Colin

I am booked into the Gardermoen Airport Hotel for one night on Saturday 13th Feb 2010. It costs about £70 B&B but is literally on the airport.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
has anyone else managed to find a hotel near the airport cheaper than 795 NOK (£85), im having to stay over on the 13th and 20th feb 2010.

If so please do share that info for everyone having to book a room for a night or 2 near the airport as it will save a lot of searching on the interweb...

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Trip has pretty much cleaned me out mate!
I shall be getting to LHR the night before my Sunday morning early flight out,and bedding down as best I can there!
( Will do the same in Oslo if I miss my conection on the way back!!)
Good luck,will be nice to meet you.
Chris.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Cheers Chris,

Do you think the airport would mind if a group of us got together and set up camp, complete with bivis, hammocks and a lovely roaring camp fire to tide us by till morning

(Then again i suppose we could just join the British Airways staff, who will probably still be on strike, they might even have one of thouse nice roaring fires in an old oil drum like they did in the first rocky movie)

Colin

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Lol! Yeah,I can see that mate!
Do you know if we have to collect our bags at Oslo,and do the customs thing before putting them back through for the Bardufoss flight??
Chris.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
id imagine we would have to collect our bags, unless you have a norweigan flight all the way through, still to book my flight there, klm at £200 from glasgow with 1 stop in amsterdam seems the cheapest so far - im just worried i dont make it out of amsterdam (i dont think i will risk leaving the airport).

Is there a direct flight on the 14th from LHR that gets to Oslo in time for the connecting flight, i wouldnt mind dossing in the airport if its going to save my wallet over £80.

Colin

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Yes mate,myself,Leonardis and a couple of other cats are getting the 7.20am BA flight out of LRH. That gives us 2 hours at Oslo.
Chris.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
looks a no go, they want £168 for that part and with the glasgow flight it would be way too much, but i will keep checking to see if it comes down in price and will let you know

All the best mate and thanks for the info..

Colin

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
looks a no go, they want £168 for that part and with the glasgow flight it would be way too much, but i will keep checking to see if it comes down in price and will let you know

All the best mate and thanks for the info..

Colin

Colin

How about the following combination?
Depart late Saturday 13th....return Sunday 21st.....(As soon as you select 20th for return both outbound and return leg icreases in price.....)
These are the cheapest BA Heathrow options I know of.....but there are only 2 seats available for the return flight at the time below....
You could depart earlier on Sunday at higher cost or catch a later Sunday flight perhaps?

Check your flight itinerary details but the following might be possible?

Outbound - Saturday 13 Feb
Depart Heathrow (London) 18:55
Arrive Oslo 22:10 BA0770

Return - Sunday 21st Feb
Depart OSL at 17.10
Arrive 18:40 Heathrow (London) BA0767

Only two seats left for the return leg at above time.....you can fly earlier same day at higher cost or later same day on next and last flight....

£219 (Actually cheaper than the BA flights I booked)

Hope this helps
Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE