Archery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Well got a day off work but one of the cubs is off school unwell and in bed, it is pouring down outside and all my plans for the day are out the window. So what to do, I know make some arrows. Here's to grey days in the rain.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Hi, seemed like slow work today, I have put 12 self nocks with buffalo horn strips to strengthen them into 12 bamboo shafts, sanded the sharp edges of the nocks and shaped them to fit the string nicely. Then put some tru oil on the nocks to seal the horn, cut the shafts to 29 inches so I can test shoot them first then I will cut them down a half inch at a time to my length. Cut some feathers also to see if the bannana fletching or sail shield work better with them.

Still thinking about buying in mass on the shafts so I can get some good grouping weight wise.

BUT i have also seen an outstanding Osage flat selfbow, which i keep looking at.......must not buy bow..........Must Not.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Seen some lovely looking bows by a guy in the USA, I am liking the Hunter bow he does.
But as i said before i don't need anymore bows, i could do with saling some of the ones i have at the moment.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I really like it, the main reason I bought it was that I was impressed with it's speed and it's much lighter (in weight) than my recurve, but at 50lbs draw weight is about 12lbs heavier, so I'm still getting used to it. I had a definite ache in my wrist after using it last Thursday and Friday evening, where I can shoot my recurve as much as I want without any aches at all.

Cheers, Michael.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
So to stop myself from craving a new bow, I have bought some more arrow shafts and different weight heads for them. 30 shafts at 60-65lb and 30 shafts at 55-60lb hoping to get close weight matching with this amount of shafts. Also hoping that if I can make the best suited arrows to each of the bows, I will not have to look at another bow for a little while. ............

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
its the archers choice and preference. I personally like straight fletchings, but thats just me, others could like helical (they do look nice, I just prefer straight for firing).

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I prefer straight fletched as well. Helical would theoretically give more stability for the same size fletches, but also more drag. So for a short hunting shot where you need to be absolutely sure of your shot placement, helical would be good. For more general shooting and field in particular, where longer shots are commonplace, the extra drag will be a nuisance unless you have a very fast bow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE