apple trees question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
Hi guys I am out and about and have come accross an Apple tree and am wandering if there edible? Most of the fruit are golf ball size and double at least. There all green and the tree is heaving with them.any way of telling eaters from non? I have tasted them and they're ok just like a golden delicious with just a little more tart. Will try to add pos. Thanks in advance.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
All apples are edible, some are very sour though......doesn't mean they're not useful, as Mark says, cider making's always an option.

I don't hear much about folks making cider vinegar, but it's very, very good stuff too.

Even very tart apples can be sweetened and baked or turned into jam and jelly or fruit leather :)

A very good thing is a good apple tree :D

cheers,
Toddy

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
found some crab apples the other day, so tart it'd make your hair curl, useful for adding to jams mind, lots of pectin to help jellys/jams set.
pete

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The trees you describe sound like the ones my grandmother and aunt used to have when I was a small boy. Yes they are edible just as they are (kinda like Granny Smith apples only a bit thicker skin) In fact they are deliscious when sliced and dipped in a caramel dip(as are any tart apples); or accompanied with a sharp Cheddar for a ploughman's lunch.

For other options cider has already been mentioned as has baking pies, so I'll add jams and jellies.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Test for edibility with apples? Bite one. If you like the taste, its an eater. If not, use it in jam making, cider making, cook it to a pulp for use in crumbles with some sugar added, juice it and mix with something else. Or slice it, fry it in butter, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, and eat.

I like apples :D

if anybody in the Verwood Dorset area wants ive millions of Cherry apples as the name suggests they are the size of cherries and even look like em on the twin stalks but theres far to many for me in fact i hope to remove some of the trees and replace with more usable fruit trees

ATB

Duncan

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Just be careful who they belong to though. Earlier today I saw an apple tree on the side of the road while driving to work. I checked and it was growing on the road side of the fence and all the windfalls were on the verge so I filled a couple of bags (amazing apples too :D ). Just as I was driving off I noticed a women stop her car and seemed to take a photo of me sat in my car. Hopefully I haven't been busted for stealing but she didn't look happy.

Still I'll have plenty of cider to bribe my way out of trouble...

resnikov

Just be careful who they belong to though. Earlier today I saw an apple tree on the side of the road while driving to work. I checked and it was growing on the road side of the fence and all the windfalls were on the verge so I filled a couple of bags (amazing apples too :D ). Just as I was driving off I noticed a women stop her car and seemed to take a photo of me sat in my car. Hopefully I haven't been busted for stealing but she didn't look happy.

Still I'll have plenty of cider to bribe my way out of trouble...

If the windfalls are on the verge it's fair game.

Kind of.

Just asked my wife who is studying Law and she said if the item in question has been abandoned then it is legal to take it.
If the fruit had just fallen off the tree on to the pavement then it would still be the property of the tree owner as the fruit it not abandoned at that point. As to when it does become abandoned is the question and would be down to how well the lawyers can argue.

If for example you left your car as it had broken down and came back 2 days latter then, that is not abandoned but if you left it for a month or so then it could be classed as abandoned and fair game for someone to take.

So be careful when picking up windfall.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Kind of.

Just asked my wife who is studying Law and she said if the item in question has been abandoned then it is legal to take it.
If the fruit had just fallen off the tree on to the pavement then it would still be the property of the tree owner as the fruit it not abandoned at that point. As to when it does become abandoned is the question and would be down to how well the lawyers can argue.

If for example you left your car as it had broken down and came back 2 days latter then, that is not abandoned but if you left it for a month or so then it could be classed as abandoned and fair game for someone to take.

So be careful when picking up windfall.

if a neighbours tree grows over your property you are well within your rights to trim it back - so if a tree grows over public property and things fall off it? (although technically the trimmings do still belong to the neighbour I guess)

Last edited:

resnikov

if a neighbours tree grows over your property you are well within your rights to trim it back - so if a tree grows over public property and things fall off it? (although technically the trimmings do still belong to the neighbour I guess)

Yes the trimmings do belong to the neighbour and you should offer to return them other wise they can be classed as stolen.

bigandy

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
horwich lancashire
Ownership in this case is no problem.been and the gear for the cidermaking and off to pick them in a week or so. But if anyone else has any more ideas I would be happy to take them on board.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hassling someone for picking up windfalls on a verge ???
Most folks with apple trees are swamped with too much fruit and delighted to give away what they can't use.
I have elderly neighbours who ended up cutting the trees down because clearing up all the fallen fruit that attracted wasps was too much for them :sigh:

I fancy apple and bramble crumble for pudding tonight :)

You're right, these thread do make folks hungry :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE