Apache Canoe build - lots of pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Not sure of this is in the correct place, feel free to move.

Graba cup of tea this may take a while. This will be my second post, hit the wrong key half way through the first version and deleted the lot .

So…..a little introduction first…..used to paddle ks in my mad youth mainly throwing myself down the biggest waterfall I could get to. After a few close calls and a lung full of Lakelands finest spring water I hung up the paddle and spent my time high up the Lake District on the tops of fells (usually in winter) in my tent.
I then found BCUK last year, got introduced to hammocks and now spend my nights out lower down in the hills in amongst the trees. There are fewer out of the way places once you get lower down and noticing that many decent spots were reachable by canoe I thought it about time I rekindled my interest but this time in something I can carry my kit in.
After fainting at the price of new and second hand canoes I read some good reviews on SOTP about a bloke called Stu and his Apache’s. ( I have no connection with Stu etc etc).
So after a lot of reading and even more emails from Stu (for a one man band, he goes out of his way to help) I spent my pennies on a shiny black Apache hull and associated bits of wood.
Now why black you ask? Well apart form being the fastest!! I wanted something that would hide away whilst camping and always wanting to be a bit different, didn't want to be another green canoe owner (sorry greenies ).
So a few weeks ago I popped down to Apache's production facilities headquarters (Stu's shed) and collected along with some valuable advice a couple of paddle blanks and a new shiny Apache.
3835949255_b80fd73881.jpg

I wanted slots along the gunwhales, to drain water after the inevitable dunking , to tie things to and I think they look good. So I made myself a jig to hold the router. Given another boat to build I'd make the jig a bit deeper as the router popped out once but thankfully on the very end of the gunwhales which is now hidden by the decks.
3835951519_ecc1d90cd5.jpg

Pop the router in to the jig, wiggle about a bit and hey presto...
3835953603_1b22d92015.jpg

You get a nice line of these....
3836744726_2f2600cdf1.jpg

I left a larger space between the slots at the centre of the canoe to allow for the yoke and at the ends to allow for the decks.
By this time, feeling quite smug with my efforts I got careless, joyfully wiggling the router thinking this is going quite well and taking far too much wood out with each wiggle I snapped the router bit.
3835958061_e07089cabb.jpg

So off to the local shop.....didn't have any......off for a 30 mile round trip to Focus and returned with a slightly larger bit (only one they had) so I had too go over every single hole again so they matched. I was more careful this time !!
I used the same jig to round off the slots then adapted it so that I could pre-drill the screw holes before fitting to the canoe.
3835960301_660f7c82e6.jpg

Once both sides were done, out with the angle drinder to take off the surplus edges (goggles and mask essential, the fumes and dust are terrible).

3836751276_510808685a.jpg

I clamped the inner gunwhales in place, wedged the deck in and drew a line along the centre of the deck over the gunwhales, this gave me a line to cut the gunwhales along.
3836755802_5a2f2be466.jpg

I'm not normally this good with wood joints...

3836753604_2b648e514d.jpg

Clamped inner and outers on to the canoe and using my homemade gunwhales alignment tool (patent pending)(piece of wood with a slot cut in it) I drilled through the canoe using my pre-drilled holes as a guide.

3836758698_e8b91db0cc.jpg

As I had measured my slots from the centre of each strip of wood I decided to start at the centre and work outwards, leaving the ends free to allow the decks to be screwed in.
3836760986_7edb605e12.jpg

3836763004_291fc816ba.jpg

All this took about three days (kids to look after in between, meals to cook). I think I could have got this far with a solid days work but I spent a lot of time just looking before committing any cuts to the wood etc. The last day ended after dark with this view of the Langdale Pikes from the garden.

3836765162_77b4e57358.jpg

Fitted the yoke and handles quite quickly.

3835978169_6fa479cfac.jpg

Then I found my first deliberate mistake !!! I didn't measure the seats as I thought if they ended up under one of the slots I could just move them forward or back slightly until they wern't under a slot! Oops!

3835980465_40a986b9a3.jpg

After looking at new wooden brackets, metal brackets, some aluminium strips and a whole day of thinking I eventually decided to shorten the seats by an inch or two so they didn't overlap any of the slots. I'm quite small and will only have to carry small bottomed poeple!

3835982819_95fbb292fe.jpg

So the seats were in, lots of sanding followed by more sanding, then some sanding and finished off with a bit of sanding. Then some oiling, more oiling and a bit more oiling.

3836775962_f12a752b80.jpg

Like a kid at Christmas I set off yesterday with my new black Apache for Coniston (Windermere although closer is too busy and I didn't fancy an audience for my first wobbly outing).

3836778326_d98389a32b.jpg

The rain stopped just long enough for a 2 hour paddle.

3836780360_fe8fa74370.jpg

Can't beat an Apache, steamer and the Old Man in the background !!

3836784728_e32cbf9e68.jpg

Anyway, I would highly recommend building your own and would recommend Stu and his Apache's. For a novice in a canoe it handled very well, turned quickly and didn't tip me out !!!

Hope you enjoyed. Now some camping is needed.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Brilliant Lee, looks like you've done a nice job there mate.

I think I could be getting one myself soon as swmbo's showing an interest and my Pack isn't big enough for two. Might have to call in one day mate for a looksee if that's okay with you.

Lovely pics by the way, she looks grand in black :)

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Mrs Lostagain (after seeing me acting like a big kid - too exited with my new canoe !!) has granted a pass for Saturday when the weather looks like its going to improve.

So paddling, (probably some swimming !!) and some camping. :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Rich,

You are welcome any time. If you're popping up for an afternoon paddle give me a shout and I'll bring the tea bags.

Cheers

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Any idea what weight they come in at guys ? Stu's site is under construction at the moment so info's a bit scarce. I'm sure I've read it on SOTP but I can't remember.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
well done lostagain,

you've done a good job there. I've been looking at getting one of those Apache's in a kit form. Just a shame I'm so far from the maker.

Your 'deliberate mistake' made me smile; it's the sort of thing I have done in the past over and over again.

Enjoy your canoe and your future trips.

livefast999

Aug 12, 2008
uk
I like that Lostagain great work, the wood against the black of the canoe looks really good.

I think the drain slots / lashing points are a great idea.

Hope you enjoy getting back on the water.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Are you intending to fit buoyancy bags/blocks?

I wasn't unless I come across some foam from a builders merchant (cost of airbags is terrible). I was told that if I'm carrying camping gear (usually in a barrel) and its tied in, that should prvide the buoyancy needed if i go for a swim.

Any idea what weight they come in at guys ? .

Rich, its a 16' one, I'll try and get it weighed over next few days and let you know.

How expensive was the hull compared to a completed canoe?

I know Stu does complete the canoes at request but didn't get a quote. I was offered one (completed) whilst doing my research for about the same price as the kit. For SOTP members Stu does some discount which works out at £200 for the hull and £110 for the wood, seats, decks handles and screws. I ended up buying a couple of paddle blanks and a smaller one for Lostagain junior (which I haven't even started yet!). Having looked, I couldn't buy a broken, dented and battered second hand canoe for the price I paid for a new one of these. That said, I won't be running any rivers unless I fancy repairing the hull after each outing!
For a starter canoe or something that'll only be used for camping / on lakes its fine.

Thanks for the kind comments, I guess I need to take extra tea bags when I go out, now you all know what I'm paddling !! :D

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
was told that if I'm carrying camping gear (usually in a barrel) and its tied in, that should prvide the buoyancy needed if i go for a swim.

It will work. We use a barrel and a small dry bag at the other end .......and I have sunk more timers than I can mention.....:rolleyes:

I couldn't buy a broken, dented and battered second hand canoe for the price I paid for a new one of these. That said, I won't be running any rivers unless I fancy repairing the hull after each outing!
For a starter canoe or something that'll only be used for camping / on lakes its fine.

They are tougher than you think. I have given my canoes a proper hammering down rivers with no problems. I have bounced mine off rocks, run weirs, drops, white water prob up to g3 at least high end g2. I have paddled them down rivers where the canoe is scraping the bottom all the way down and to top it all off It stands up to my not to gentle handling .
We was out the other day on the rivers Tame and Mersey with a couple of brand new plastic canoes and they came back with rather large gouges in the bottom......mine .....just a few scratches.
I would run my apache's ( I have both the 14 and 16 foot models) down any river that open canoes go down.
Drop me a pm and I will take you down the Mersey trail.

Greg

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Looks like you've made a lovely job of that. Very nice indeed. I'm liking the black too, very chic. Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

It will work. We use a barrel and a small dry bag at the other end .......and I have sunk more timers than I can mention.....:rolleyes:

They are tougher than you think. I have given my canoes a proper hammering down rivers with no problems. I have bounced mine off rocks, run weirs, drops, white water prob up to g3 at least high end g2. I have paddled them down rivers where the canoe is scraping the bottom all the way down and to top it all off It stands up to my not to gentle handling .
We was out the other day on the rivers Tame and Mersey with a couple of brand new plastic canoes and they came back with rather large gouges in the bottom......mine .....just a few scratches.
I would run my apache's ( I have both the 14 and 16 foot models) down any river that open canoes go down.
Drop me a pm and I will take you down the Mersey trail.

Greg
I will 2nd that I take mine down the mersey and tame and hit all kinds of hard things including greg when hes in my way :D and my Apache is still in once piece they are very tough

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Greg, Singeblister,

Thanks. I have a bit more confidence with the canoe now after your comments and will consider some rivers once I get my sea legs back.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Any idea what weight they come in at guys ? Stu's site is under construction at the moment so info's a bit scarce. I'm sure I've read it on SOTP but I can't remember.

Not that much - i can get my 16' on the roof of the Discovery by myself.

Give me a ring when I'm back - the week after next, and you can have a padle in the canal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE