Anyone Recomend Me A Swiss Army Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nokia_aid

Apr 13, 2011
herefordshire
Looking at getting a swiss army knife max of about £45

two i like the look of are the Victorinox Huntsman or the Victorinox Swiss Champ providing i can put up with the extra size of it in my pocket

what do you guys have or recommend

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I have both those models, and the one that gets the most pocket time, is the Huntsman.
It has everything I need.
The swisschamp is a bit bulky.

dozzer

Forager
Jun 24, 2010
dundee
huntsman or alox farmer

the farmer is super sturdy and has a thicker blade and better awl which is very usefull

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The wife has several, she likes and uses and her old 'Picnic' the most but they changed it (about 20 years ago!) and she doesn't like the new version so much.

I use multi-tools more than SAKs, I always have the SwissTool on my belt and it sees a lot of action. I have a tiny Victorinox in a small pouch too but I only really keep it there for the occasional need of its lovely little scissors. It also has a good ball-point pen, which I occasionally resort to, and a useless little LED torch which I don't. I reckon it won't be long before I try a Huntsman, it would fit in the pouch and replace the tiny one. The Champ would be too fussy for me and I have the SwissTool anyway. I'd really like a Huntsman with a cross-point screwdriver instead of a corkscrew. If they'd done one like that I'd have bought it already. I also have a hankering for one of the new, larger, one-handed opening varieties but I haven't handled one yet. Also I'd need another pouch on my belt and I don't really want to do that.

You haven't said what you expect to be doing with it...

PS: You can get the Huntsman for a lot less money than your budget. :)

Last edited:

nokia_aid

Apr 13, 2011
herefordshire
to be fair il probably never use it,lol,iv got hundreds of pounds worth of knives and more coming which il prob never use as well,my knives are all for my bug out/in kit but im thinking i want a swiss army knife to keep in my pocket for say if something ever did happen and i had to walk into the woods n survive without my kit.

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
I find my Swiss champ very unwieldy to use as a knife, but it does cover most day-to-day eventualities, from looking at grasshoppers to extracting very wobbly milk teeth, doubt I'll ever use the fish scale though.
The only thing it lacks is a blunt edged reamer for undoing tightly knotted shoe laces.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I would get the Swiss Champ, provided you are carrying a proper knife as well. The SC has loads of extra items that are very useful over and above the usual knife/scissors/can-opener/tweezers etc : pliers (canoe seats), full range of screw-driver bits (canoe seats etc, even glasses), corkscrew (essential), biro, saw (very effective on small branches or saplings), file (coarse axe sharpening), hacksaw, magnifying glass (ticks), and I got one recently for about £35. It is too fat to use the knife blade effectively, however. It lives most happily in the SAK Leather sheath on your belt or in a response-type pack. It's too big for a pocket. You could get both SC and sheath for £45.

The Camper is a good halfway house and still has a corkscrew (or at least it did when I bought it 25 years ago).

Last edited:

nokia_aid

Apr 13, 2011
herefordshire
at the moment im kind of imbetween the huntsman and after looking around maby the ranger,i think the swiss champ would be too big for my pocket,i like the size of the alox farmerbut would rather a few more toys on my knife

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE