Anyone got the new style UK issue wiinter boots ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Anyone had any experience with these ? The new UK army issue winter boots.

NEW-GORETEX-PRO-BOOTS_zps586b80f8.jpg

I'm thinking about getting some, I have a pair of the old style ones and they were great for a while but seemed to lose their insulating properties quite quickly. They're still an awesome comfortable, hard wearing and waterproof boot but I want something that will keep me warm as well. I can't double up my socks in my old ones as they're too small for that. Most of the cold seems to come through the sole.

Anyway any feedback from you guys and gals on the new style boots would be welcome.

TIA

R3XXY

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Stunners, my favourite boots.
First pair lasted about 5 years including winter hills. Last pair i got i managed to kick one of the lacing points off with the opposite boot.
Had them repaired good as new. They are a little much for the summer months but i still use them anyway.
Great ankle support, great tread, very waterproof and incredibly hard wearing.

Down side they are heavy but i just walk slower. Also very hard to get new in your size for decent money.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Thanks guys, would you recommend getting one size up for extra sock room or is it not necessary ?

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks guys, would you recommend getting one size up for extra sock room or is it not necessary ?

The sizes are very generous so stick to your usual size. Come in three width sizes too.
Been around for a while these boots but were a special issue I believe. Never once had a wet foot in water or snow.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
They're all over ebay.

Quite lucky at the minute with ebay. I tried for months to get my size at a decent price. about £50 in the end as far as I remember.
Often going for around 70 new or near new.

I believe and dont quote me but they were made by lowa. Just make sure you get the most recent ones with the Vibram soles.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Made by a company named Prabos, although not the current issue cold climate boot, which is brown in colour and I think is Karrimor?

Not a fan of the Prabos boots, find them too stiff and unwieldy, I much prefer any of the Meindl MFS range.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Made by a company named Prabos, although not the current issue cold climate boot, which is brown in colour and I think is Karrimor?

Not a fan of the Prabos boots, find them too stiff and unwieldy, I much prefer any of the Meindl MFS range.

Thanks for that had only heard anecdotal mutterings that it was lowa. They are certainly not light weight hiking boot but great over uneven ground and woods bashing. Have used them for the hills too mind.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Yeah, they do have the Lowa-esque appearance. I suppose they would be great for some folk who want the stiffness and a robust boot. I find the old Scarpas too clumpy as well, but if anyone was looking for a tough winter boot for the woods, these would fit the bill.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I find them quite light and flexible with how I've laced them (ladder and cross)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

AdamSon

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Co. Durham
I have a pair, best boots I've owned, I run for miles in mine and wear them for work. I've never had wet feet or a blister in them.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Yeah, they do have the Lowa-esque appearance. I suppose they would be great for some folk who want the stiffness and a robust boot. I find the old Scarpas too clumpy as well, but if anyone was looking for a tough winter boot for the woods, these would fit the bill.
I prefer scarpas over these, MOD are slowly changing to broon boots. Expect these black ones to become more available.

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
Ok, I'll chuck in a negative for balance. I was issued a pair and hated them! The main problem was that as a short...err...person they came up too high on my leg which made them quite uncomfortable. I also found they took ages to break in and were rather heavy. Most of our guys chucked them and used their light assault instead. I'm something of a boot collector but just couldn't get on with these.

That said, I've been spoiled by loess and altbergs so maybe I'm no judge. Certainly try them and I've yet to hear of a pair falling apart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE