Anyone got Homechoice/Tiscali T.V. (internet help)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Hi all.

Basically got myself a new computer and need the internet on two now.

When i had two computers before, i brought an ADSL modem router and it didn't work and i was told i needed a DSL router, Mum rang up again and they told her that i could only have internet on two comps if i brought their own router, which is a load of crap because they use a bog standard netgear one (and the website now says that you can use others)

And they are now refusing to tell me whether i need an ADSL or a DSL router.

Anyone else got homechoice/tiscali t.v and have more than two comps and can tell me what type of router i need.

P.S has to be a wired router not a wireless one

Cheers
Jamie :D

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
The simplest way of telling (without seeing your setup) is if the modem plugs straight into the phoneline (via a little white box that also has the phone wire coming out) then you need ADSL.
If you have a seperate wire coming in and going to a modem which then connects to your computer (via a blue cable) then DSL.

Either way, you shouldn't need to by their router.

Failing that, if both pc's are running XP then Internet Connection Shareing can be setup (it takes a bit of reading and changing settings but once you've done it the first time its' easy).

*edit* oh, it's late so if anyone else knows better then please say so! :)

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
There is a little box plugged into my phoneline which has the phone plugged into it, which then has another cable running into my homechoice box which has a built in modem, and another cable coming out of my homechoice box plugs into my pc.

I really should no more about these things considering i build computers :eek: :rolleyes:

Does that setup warrant a DSL router.

Cheers
Jamie

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
If the Homechoice/Tiscali set top box has a built-in modem, then you will need a router to connect more than one computer to the internet connection at the same time, unless the set top box has more than one socket on it, and so will allow multiple computers to be plugged to it.

If the cable running from the set top box to your computer is a USB cable, rather than an Ethernet cable, then make sure that whatever router you buy has a USB port as well as Ethernet ports. If you can’t find a brand of router that has a USB port, then you will have to buy the Homechoice/Tiscali router to connect more than one computer at a time to the internet.

If you are going to buy a router then in my opinion, and in this particular instance, it makes sense to buy the Homechoice/Tiscali one, as they will offer technical support for their equipment and you won’t have any compatibility issues between the set top box and the router, which you may have if you buy a ‘third party’ router, and if you can get a third party router to work with the set top box, then Homechoice/Tiscali may refuse to give you technical support for any connection issues you may experience from time to time, if you’re not using equipment that they approve.

Buying the Homechoice/Tiscali router that is specifically designed to be used with the set top box (Remember, you are connecting to the internet using cable technology not a regular ADSL connection via the telephone line), will probably save you a whole load of grief and head-scratching :)

If you opt to buy a third party router, make sure that when you buy the router, that it is only a router, and not a combined modem/router, as a modem/router may not work with the cable modem in the set top box. And make sure that the modem it cable compatible.

I can’t be more specific, as I’m not familiar with the Homechoice/Tiscali service, or their equipment.

You might be better off having a read of http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ they have user forums too, so you could ask for help there.

Best regards,
Paul.

Thrym

Forager
Dec 20, 2006
Bristol, England
In my house (with tiscali) I set up a lan network for my parents computer. Only disadvantage is you have to have the host computer turned on and connected to use the other one.
Josh

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
I can't really afford to buy the netgear router Homechoice offer because its £80 which is ridiculous.

It doesn't connect to my pc via usb it connects via ethernet so basically the box has the phoneline going into it and the ethernet coming out of it going into my pc.

I think i may have to start thinking about switching to another ISP :AR15firin HOMECHOICE.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
I can't really afford to buy the netgear router Homechoice offer because its £80 which is ridiculous...

That’s not a problem, Thrym has already kindly mentioned a workable solution.

The solution is to run one of the computers as a ‘server’ using Microsoft’s Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). However, as one of the machines would be running as a server, this has security implications – make sure that the software firewalls on both machines are running, and configured correctly (the Homechoice/Tiscali set top box probably doesn’t have a hardware firewall).

If you don’t correctly configure the software firewalls on the server machine and the other one, the Local Area Network (LAN) that you create may be totally open to a half-competent intruder somewhere out there on the internet.The security aspect of running this type of nework is very important sh...stuff, if you don't want it 'owned' by some stranger.

...It doesn't connect to my pc via usb it connects via ethernet so basically the box has the phoneline going into it and the ethernet coming out of it going into my pc...

Cool, that makes life a little easier.

...I think i may have to start thinking about switching to another ISP :AR15firin HOMECHOICE.

That’s a little drastic, if you don’t mind me saying so :D Although I do understand your frustration ;)

Read all eight pages of this article about setting up a network using ICS, and before you do anything with the hardware. This works whether you want to run a wired or wireless network without a router, and it works with an internet connection provided by a cable service such as Homechoice.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/index.htm

Good luck, and please don't tell me you're not running Windows machines :)

Best regards,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE