Anyone got an ETAPOWER MF??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Hi all, i have recently just got an etapower mf and am looking for other owners here to swap some tips for usage with.

I had some initial problems with priming solved by emailing Primus who then advised me to bend the pre heating coil in a tighter curve to ensure that it contacts the flame from the burner head and heats up better.

This enabled me to get the stove up and going however priming for me (using high grade paraffin) is still taking around 4mins instead of the advertised 60-90 seconds.

Is this due to the fact that i'm using paraffin? i also find it very sooty but i chose it as its really the only fuel conveniently available to me at a reasonable price bar petrol and diesel which i would like to avoid due to the additives.

Does anyone have any tips on this issue?

Also how do you pack up your stove to ensure the soot and any fuel residue does not dirty the pots etc

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Peter

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I do not own a ETA MF stove. But I've got a few other liquid fuel stoves. I take it from your post you are using Paraffin (kerosene) to preheat the stove?

That will work but as you are finding Kerosene burnt as an unpressurised liquid produces a smokey flame with lots of soot produced.

To effectively vaporise Kerosene from a liquid to a gas the preheater tube needs to be nice and hot. Kerosene needs a reasonably high temp to get it to vaporise which makes it a safe stove fuel but also means preheating the stove effectively is vital.

If you used methalayted spirits as a preheater fuel you would cut down on all of the soot and mess and preheating would be probably a bit more effective than using liquid Kerosene.

You might find the claim Primus make for the priming time relates to White gasoline or Coleman fuel. This vaporises far more readily than Kerosene so needs less heat and time to prime.

HTH

John

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Thanks John thats great info, certainly makes sense given my initial experiences.

Out of interest what fuel do you use? and do you carry a small bottle of meths for priming?

I have heard that naptha based panel wipe is great and very similar to the branded white gas but I wouldn't know where to get it in the Belfast area

Peter

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Thanks John thats great info, certainly makes sense given my initial experiences.

Out of interest what fuel do you use? and do you carry a small bottle of meths for priming?

I have heard that naptha based panel wipe is great and very similar to the branded white gas but I wouldn't know where to get it in the Belfast area

Peter

Hi Peter,

Depending on which stove I'm using I either use Jet A1 / Avtur which is effectively Kerosene with the odd additive for Turbines thrown in or white gas which is easy to get here in NZ in bulk...

I always preheat any Kerosene stove I'm using with Meths I carry a bottle for priming the stove as part of my stove kit. Sometimes I've been know to use a bit of hexy tablet broken up. This does a good job also.

If I'm using a stove on white gas I just use a bit of that to prime the stove as it vaporises readily and primes cleanly.

Priming on kerosene has been a perrenial problem for manufacturers of Kerosene stoves since they were first introduced. I have a primus dating from 1916 with a special arrangement that allowed you to prime with Kerosene and I've also got a 1950's Monitor with a similar arrangement to allow kerosene priming. Neither work as well or as effectively as using meths..

Have fun with your stove and stay safe.

HTH

John

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
thanks John, have managed to get some Hexane based panel wipe from a motor factors near me that seems to prime and burn great, £15 for 5L

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
thanks John, have managed to get some Hexane based panel wipe from a motor factors near me that seems to prime and burn great, £15 for 5L

Sounds good... With the weather the UK is having currently you'll be able to test out your snow melting skills :)

The wx here is currently Ice cream melting temps... Roll on Xmas and the beach..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE