Anyone fish from a canoe or kayak?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Don't fall out ?

I chuck a line out sometimes but I wouldn't say I do anything different to fishing on terra firma. It makes life a bit easier to setup the rod and place it somewhere handy before you set out.
I know there are different ways of playing a lure and some which are best done in deep water from a boat, for me though I just tie a big spinner on and wang it out.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Its difficult to fish properly from a canoe, you cover to much water to quickly, anchoring on a spot might be a good idea, also i have used an blue ikea bag as a drogue to slow the canoe down if i wanted to drift past a spot slowly. Its not impossible just hard to maximise your fishing oppertunitys, but its enjoyable nonetheless, best of luck!!

Dec 5, 2010
Dorset
Don't fall out ?

Heh.

The received wisdom is actually *do* fall out. More than once. The purpose of which is to learn how to get back on should it be required in an emergency.

I would recommend paying a visit to those sterling folk at http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/ for information on Kayak Fishing. A friendlier bunch of people (present company excepted) you are never likely to meet.

Dec 5, 2010
Dorset
Heh.

The received wisdom is actually *do* fall out. More than once. The purpose of which is to learn how to get back on should it be required in an emergency.

I would recommend paying a visit to those sterling folk at http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/ , dammit!

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Fishing from a canoe solo can be tedious if the wind or current is not favourable. A two person effort is the way to go...paddler in the stern nosing the canoe into
all the good looking bays and inlets while the person in the bow does the fishing.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've fished from a canoe many many times. I like to use pack rod poles. They fit nicely in a bag (see pic--long black bag) and it makes for an easy way to carry your fishing gear. Also worth looking for are anchor pulleys that clamp to the side of the canoe and swivel so that when you pull on the anchor line, it's always a straight pull. Light anchors that "unfold" when you drop them and catch the bottom are good for the canoe. Just be careful. If you have a tippy canoe and you hook your anchor in some nasty brush, you may tip the canoe when pulling the anchor up or just lose the anchor. For river fishing, a "brush hook" is handy to tie up to the shore to fish a particular hole. It just clamps on to a tree or shrub.

canoe2c.jpg

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
Have fished for a few years from kayaks and agree that Anglers Afloat is the best site to answer any questions you may have. For me they are a bit too safety concious. Two golden rules - 1) practice re-entry, you will at some time capsize. 2) dress to suit the water temperature not the weather.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Indeed! I fish from a kayak, taken loads of cod and mackerel on the east coast and then there's this:
coniston0709123.jpg

Awesome way to get on the water, surprisingly stable probably the the best direction my fishing has taken:cool:

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
They are a little numb and slow but very stable (a bit like me!:lmao:)

I struggle to keep up with mates at sea in their prowlers & elites and stuff but I like and am seldom in a hurry! never once felt unsafe and onlly flipped once landing on a welsh surf beach.

Jigged for cod, cast lures (working large jerkbaits is a little awkward) and cast flies even double hauling #10 & dead budgie sized pike flies comfortably. It puts a totally unique and exiting dimension to your fishing, I really reccommend Kayak fishing & the community is very helpful and friendly. You know you should buy one!

Last edited:

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
If it's just me fishing on the lake I use a 8.5ft yak. If I have one or both of my boys along then we use a 16ft Mad River canoe.
We fish for Bass or Crappies around the bays and inlets of local lakes. Mostly using crank baits or tipped jigs.
Every once in a while I will break out the fly rod and cast a few feathers from the canoe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE