Anyone else disappointed with vibram soles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I've just had to send my second set of walking boots to boot heaven, simply due to the fact the vibram soles have worn down very quickly and split on the sides.

for my next set I'm going to choose a boot with a different sole. Trouble is, vibram have quite a monopoly on the market.

can anyone recommend a comfy, mid height walking boot that doesn't have a vibram sole?

thank you

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You could at one time specify skywalker soles on all Altberg boots - I think you still can. Give 'em a ring.....................atb mac

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Vibram do different grades of rubber on different boots. Partly for cost to manufacturers also depends on the end use of the boot. Some soles are harder wearing, some stickier (but wear out quicker) and others more aggressive. What boots did you have?

Also many soles are now non-replaceable due to the construction of the boot, this is partly to make them lighter, fit better, cheaper to manufacture. But also so boot makers sell more boots. One of my friends was probably the best boot cobbler in Scotland(and there's a big difference from a shoe cobbler) and he's almost out of full time employment due too manufacturing changes.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Due to dodgy ankles I now use only the fairly high Lowa GTXs, they have Vibram soles which are replaceable, they're not cheap to buy but with a bit of polish they should go for 20 years, thereby offsetting the initial purchase price many times. Generally, the more you pay at first, the less you pay later (obviously that excludes 'designer' and 'technical' stuff).

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Got vibram on my berghaus boots and have had no problems with them and they are 3 or 4 years old now

markmullen

Oct 4, 2012
North Yorkshire
I've got vibram soles on my north face hedgehogs, on the whole they're very good but walking back to my apartment through town they're lethal on wet metal, manhole covers etc.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I have several pair of boots with Vibram soles and never had a problem with them splitting or coming off the boot, although two pairs of boots have worn rather badly. Those are models with softer soles, one of which is especially good for walking or standing on a concrete surface. The other pair was apparently only intended to be worn during hunting season. But the rest are virtually unworn, even to include a pair that are about fifteen years old. The rest of the boot is pretty beat up. However, I have other boots without a Vibram-brand sole and largely the same thing could be said. Part of the problem, I think, is to distinguish the performance of the sole from the rest of the boot. And also, while a deeply lugged sole is good for most outdoor uses, it really picks up mud and rocks. Some of these boots can be resoled, the rest are direct-molded.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Last year I bought a pair of Merrel boots with Vibram soles. I took them to a "real" shoemaker and had them widened and he was impressed with their apparent quality but told me to replace the soft Vibram soles before they were completely warn through to the spongy midsole because this is much more difficult to replace. Surprisingly I have had to repair the soles with liquisole after only one season because they split at the toe both in the gluing between layers but also the spongy bit itself has split.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE