Any sea rangers on here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WoodWildling

Forager
Oct 16, 2008
New Forest
www.bigskyliving.co.uk
Hi, I'm a petty officer currently undertaking my officer's warrant training and am eager to know if anyone else is/was a sea ranger.
I'm trying to get the girls more involved in bushcraft, because they all assume that sea rangers is COMPLETELY about watersports! So, im trying to get the message out that boats and bushcraft can and do mix well. So far the crew i'm in have given really positive feedback when I do bushcraft activities with them. anyone any suggestions on how to combine the two 'subjects' further?

cheers,

Wild

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Hi Wild

I do not teach Sea Rangers but Sea Cadets.

I have introduced Bushcraft to the cadets over the last few years and have run some D of E Bushcraft Expeditions at Bronze level.

My way into this was to combine traditional Seamanship skills with Bushcraft.

Skills including making rope/cordage, learning lashings/knots (similar nautical/bushcraft knots), making canvas bags/leather pouches and setting up rigging systems/pioneering.

Where similarities occur use them as a start then bring in the rest of the usual Bushcraft skills around shelter, fire, water, food, games etc.

Good luck with the Officer selection.

George

richardnhunt

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2006
Surrey
Not Sea Rangers but Sea Scouts. Have bumped into many of your groups at the National Regatta and always been very impressed by your girls and their standards.

Sorry that it doesn't really answer the question!

Rich

richardnhunt

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2006
Surrey
Yep - I think that powers that be have decided 2009 is 100 years of Sea Scouting. All sorts of stuff going on but would expect the National's to be big. I'm normally the boat marshall so pop along and say hi - Rich

I was a sea scout, 9th Lymington... we did well at the national regatta in london! I won the under 15 single scull for about 5 years running!! :) lol

Im now an explorer leader in fareham, I am planning a couple of "relaxed" bushcraft weekends over the summer hols, Tarps, "pods" and lots of fire. hoping to use a newly aquired site on the hamble, so that we can go for a paddle, and attempt to catch fish with traps and rods! :)

I think if you put on a bushcrafty weekend, that would be a good start. simple things like hobo stoves, birch bark glue and charcoal making....?

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Wild
Yet another Scout leader.
Bushcraft will fit in with be shipwrecked or using your boat to see some wonderful remote places with minimum resources.
So fishing, foraging, cooking, shelter building, firelighting and emergency repairs must be easy to fit in but as with most things its giving them a chance to have a go in a way that shows it useful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE