Any one connected to West Stow Saxon village?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi All
Much to my delight the eldest two have bought a lot of Dark Ages 28mm wargames figures this Christmas. As well as helping them to paint them I have promised to make some buildings and scenery to go on the wargames table. Now I can find loads of phoitos of the reconstruted buildings at West Stow and lese where but I was hoping to find a nice (makes my life easy) book on the subject of reconstructed Anglo Saxon and Anglo Noprse buildings ideally with proper drawings of the elevations and dimensions that I could redraw in 1:58 (call it 1:60) and use to make them.

Unfortunately Ive found nothing suitable so it looks like I will be working from photos. Does anyone who has visited or has some connection to the staff there have basic dimensions for these reconstructions, or can give me a pointer towards sources of same?

Its stuff like heights and lengths of walls, heights and widths of doors.

Cheers!

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
In the end I found a PDF that gave details of the building sizes. So I have knocked up the first buildings, based on the dimensions of the weaving house. Most wargames thatched roofs are made from towling or fun fur which look good but don't look like real thatching done by proper thatchers where would only really see the ends of the straw or reeds or what ever except at the edges and ridge lines. In the end I used scouring pads, scrutched flax and untwisted linen 1mm twine. I've just slapped on the primer and will start painting them tomorrow.

image_zps240668d2.jpg

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It's remarkably therapeutic and in this case unlike the eldests -----py Space Marines I get to combine faffing with a interest in other people's experimental archeology.

anyroad they are done now, matt varnished and flocked.

image_zps55b20902.jpg

im pretty happy with them for a first go. I've only done made up concrete buildings for their 40K before.

ATB

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They look great Tom - having just finished a huge roast dinner with wine, I'm feeling a bit flocked myself :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, we're all sedated with the roast pork here as well, all we plan on doing the rest of the day is some light modelling, watching TV and in my case finish sewing the canvas roll for the giant mill files, the 14 and 16 inch suckers don't fit in the chest the rest live in.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Based this one on the dimensions for the Hall at West Stow but decided to do it as wattle and daub rather than the planks on the reconstruction. Just given it a good coat of enamel primer.

image_zps820cd1e7.jpg

A happy new year to you all!

ATB

Tom

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
good to see the pigs in the sty! We visited West Stow about 7 or 8 years ago, before it was extended. We went through the reception, through a door, down some steps, and the next thing was we heard this loud intense squealing sound. There was 6 or 7 piglets (brown and black ones, not pink) running around free. It was amazing. It did more to sudgest the mood of an ancient settlement than any amount of audio visual presentations or whatever.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Due to them not reading the small print his mum and him managed to order some 15mm pigs so the ones in the pic have since been joined by piglets! I'll have to carve the flames off the back of some of course...

This year we are going to make the effort to get to West Stow, Bedes World and the Weald and Downlands Open Air Museum etc. getting a close look at these reconstructions for ourselves.

ATB

Tom

Paint slapped on the thatch.

image_zpsc00bbfc4.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE