Any mountain leaders? mountain rescue?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

whitey3192

Forager
Oct 23, 2010
North yorkshire
was wonderiung if there are any mountain leaders here on BCUK.

i ask, because i have applied to join my local mountain rescue team, i have previous experience as a mountain warfare troop based in inverness, i did many exercises in the cairngorms, pyrenees mountains, mourne mountains, snowdonia and brecon and also in the lakes.

i imagine, however being a mountain leader would improve my chances of becoming a member of mountain rescue team.

i have just sent off the forms to get my log book and enrol on the 'mountain leader award' programme.

however before i can do my training and assesments it says i need 20 quality mountain days.

can someone inform me of what a 'quality mountain day' actually is?

also how do i record my mountain days?

any help greatly appreciated

cheers

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Hi Whitey

I'm in a team in south Wales. The teams are charities and rely on volunteers so often are happy to take anyone who is willing to put in the effort. The enterance criteria and probationary/training process varies between teams, but unless you're looking at a very popular team with people fighting for places a mountain leader qualification isn't likely to make a difference. Have you spoken to the team leader or secretary? They're the best people who can advise you on the value of the qual.

As for the "quality mountain days" I've no idea as it's not something I've looked into.

Hope this helps

Nigel.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Hi Whitey

I'm in a team in south Wales. The teams are charities and rely on volunteers so often are happy to take anyone who is willing to put in the effort. The enterance criteria and probationary/training process varies between teams, but unless you're looking at a very popular team with people fighting for places a mountain leader qualification isn't likely to make a difference. Have you spoken to the team leader or secretary? They're the best people who can advise you on the value of the qual.

As for the "quality mountain days" I've no idea as it's not something I've looked into.

Hope this helps

Nigel.

Nigel is right, Iv been on two teams with no qualifications (you will get plenty of hill days when your training). As for quality mountain days and recording them, its in your log book that you will get, theres is "log" you just wright in. It is very honesty based..

http://www.mlte.org/content.php?nID=7&catID=76&dID=35

Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I can't remember the exact definition for a quality mountain day but it specifies, time, height gained in total and length covered. Eric Langmuir's book Mountaincraft and leadership was the textbook when I did my Unit expedition Leader course which was later equated with the Mountain Leader (summer) qualification. If you do buy a copy check the date it's republished every few years but it is a wealth of information.

Last edited:

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
I'm an ML and the Training Officer for a North Wales MRT. I also like long walks on the beach, real ale by a fire and cuddling with dogs...

As others have said, qualifications aren't a 'must', having the basic skills already (nav, soem simple ropework and a positive attitude) is a big help! It also comes down to what kind of jobs your local team gets. In Ogwen they get a lot of technical rescues, we get a lot of upland/moorland/forestry searches so there is a different focus on skillset....

I'll PM you my mobile number, feel free to give me a ring if you want some pointers...

NigelTM: Which team are you with? Do i know you in 'real life'?

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Shingsowa

I'm with Western Beacons. It's unlikely we've met as I'm a newbie (should get my pager fairly soon), so I haven't caught up with many of the guys from other teams yet. Althought I did work with Chris and a couple of other guys from Ogwen at the cas care course a couple of months ago at Talybont. Also I was the search control radio op on the Goodyear promo training weekend a couple of months ago. That was a very interesting exercise with 2 cave resue teams and 3 or 4 MR teams. The very definition of organised chaos! A bit galling though as we were the primary team but all the photos were of another team as they had the shiney matching jackets! :)

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Here's the gen from the mltb ref QMD's:
• the individual takes part in the planning and leadership
• navigation skills are required away from marked paths
• experience must be in terrain and weather comparable to that found in UK and Irish hills
• knowledge is increased and skills practised
• attention is paid to safety
• five hours or more journey time
• adverse conditions may be encountered

Good on you for wanting to apply to join MR, just be aware it may take over your life!

Although a sound hill knowledge is important it's not the only skill set required by a member of a MRT. It would be pretty impossible for every new member to be highly trained in every skill, hence it takes a good few years and a lot of commitment to get up to speed. These days your average team member is trained in first aid, response driving, search management, swift water rescue, technical rescue to name but a few.

I think I would go and have a chat with the Team you want to join and see where you stand, you'll probably be made very welcome.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I did my ML training a couple of years ago but haven't gotten round to my assessment yet. The book that they currently refer people to is no longer the Eric Langmuir book but --Hillwalking by Steve Long published by mountain leader training UK. ISBN - 0-9541511-0-0 .That has a good little bit on quality mountain days. They say that during a quality mountain day some or all of the following criteria would be fulfilled.

- the individual takes part in the planning and leadership
- navigation skills are needed away from marked paths
- experience must be in terrain and weather comparable to that found in the UK and Irish hills.
- knowledge is increased and skills practiced.
- attention is paid to safety.
- five hours or more journey time.
- adverse conditions may be encountered.

When you register for the scheme they send you a logbook to record your days in. If you want to get a head start the headings are:

Date, Mountain Region, Status (equals, 'just a member' of a lead group, solo), Description (weather, route, peaks, group details and notable events), Number of nights camped on the journey.

You can go back and record walks that you have already done towards your necessary mountain days. It says that you need 20 days prior to training and minimum 40 by assessment. When I did my training at Plas Y Brenin they seemed fairly easy going on the days prior to training but you do need to be fairly competent to get the most out of the training. They said that much as the scheme requires 40 days for assessment you really should look at having 50 - 60 in your logbook so that if there is a problem with any of them you have a bit of a safety net (you don't want to fail just because of day numbers). These days also need to be spread over several mountain areas not all in your local area.

I am a new member of South Snowdonia rescue team and I can echo that the ML award in itself doesn't make any difference to joining the team (although the skills learnt as part of the ML will help you progress through the teams training more easily). In our team everyone starts as a probationary member for up to 12 months regardless of if you have ML. You don't get made a full member until you have trained with the team and demonstrated the required level of skill in various areas. I'm sure most teams have a similar setup so get in touch with your local team and see what they say. As Shambling Shaman says training with the team will get you lots of hill time that will help with your ML.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Shambling Shaman

aye I did mine at Ballachulish too, what a spot I'll never forget waking up to bright sunshine and a temp inversion.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Give my best to the boy' 'n' girls, and grats for joining the team. You can relate some stories next time we meet up :)

The team went through a bit of an upheaval before I joined (not sure of all the details myself) and is only just getting back on its feet but I'll give your regards to those that know you.
As you say we can have a good natter when I see you next.

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
I'm a ML and one good thing amongst all the other usual skills to take to Assessment is having the experience of working with groups.

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
Aye Chris, although our teams have worked together several times in the last 18 months. Might see you on a Cas Care course soon!

Nigel: in that case we certainly know some of the same people, and i'll no doubt see you soon...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE