Any ideas ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
Just been for another look and the tracks measure approx 2" across,would that be big enough for Brock ? Would it be the time of year for cubs ?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Just been for another look and the tracks measure approx 2" across,would that be big enough for Brock ? Would it be the time of year for cubs ?

No no cubs yet but the hind feet are smaller than the front which also have very clear claw marks. Badgers always use the same tracks so prehaps there are other clues such as fur on bark or brambles or even their droppings, they use latrines, that is they all s***t in the same place, usually a slightly dug out depression along a hedgerow, you can't really miss it, Badgers don't hibernate in the real sense of the term but sort of doze for a couple of weeks, then during a mild spell,pop out for a quick snack, usually earthworms, empty their bowells,then off back home for another bout of shut eye, they live in small family groups so there are others ..........as you say there are a few bolts around there is no doubt about badgers & 2ins across is not so small....

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
No no cubs yet but the hind feet are smaller than the front which also have very clear claw marks. Badgers always use the same tracks so prehaps there are other clues such as fur on bark or brambles or even their droppings, they use latrines, that is they all s***t in the same place, usually a slightly dug out depression along a hedgerow, you can't really miss it, Badgers don't hibernate in the real sense of the term but sort of doze for a couple of weeks, then during a mild spell,pop out for a quick snack, usually earthworms, empty their bowells,then off back home for another bout of shut eye, they live in small family groups so there are others ..........as you say there are a few bolts around there is no doubt about badgers & 2ins across is not so small....

What ee said. You can' miss their sign, it's everywhere. Especially the latrines and scrapes. I got a great cast of teh full forfoot including heel, which you don't normally see....

DSC09804.jpg

DSC09803.jpg

Latrine...

31Jan201147.jpg

Here's some prints close to me...

17Jan201151.jpg

The majority of narrow and well worn paths in woodlands are made by badgers, but look like human made paths. They use the same paths for decades, even centuries.

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
Someone already knows.Last year there appeared a neatly strimmed path through the brambles up to the latrine area.I asked the farmer whose fields join the woods and he replied "Ah thats the badger people" "Oh ******* Hell" I said But he reckons these people are studying them.:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Someone already knows.Last year there appeared a neatly strimmed path through the brambles up to the latrine area.I asked the farmer whose fields join the woods and he replied "Ah thats the badger people" "Oh ******* Hell" I said But he reckons these people are studying them.:)

Must be the Wombles

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
Theres cattle in the bordering fields.They were tested not long ago and have been given the all clear.I dont recall the farm ever failing the tests.The farmer gave me the impression that the people are on the badgers side :)
@ Shewie,there were Wombles there but we ate them ;)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Just stare at it for a while and your brain will adjust. It looked like that to me for a while and you have to tell your brain it is wrong.

leon-1

Just stare at it for a while and your brain will adjust. It looked like that to me for a while and you have to tell your brain it is wrong.

Perspective is a funny old thing Jon, you get the same thing sometimes when doing stereoscopy and houses or vehicles sunken into valleys are a weird thing to see.

As you say, just tell your mind that it's wrong although sometimes it means that you have to take a little walk away for a while, it's a bit like a windows reboot, but nowhere near as frequent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE