Any ideas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
Out walking the dog this morning and came across these footprint on a stile and then these other footprints along the path, not sure if the 1st pic is of a stoat or similar genre. Second pic is of a fox I'm thinking but don't have a clue to what the other prints are next to it.
Any ideas?
28a3odh.jpg

2vv0wus.jpg

Sorry picture quality is not so good...pda.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Squirrel in the first and the classic fox / rabbit in the second.

I don't have any reference material so I'm happy to be corrected.....

ATB

Ogri the trog

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
Thanks ogri, sqirrel doesn't seem big enough to have made the 1st pic prints..but what do I know, that's why I posted the pics:lmao: didn't think the second was a rabbit because the rear legs hadn't made that classic long mark from when they rest.

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Could the first be a badger?

Think the second is a rabbit. Bit small for a hare. Looks like the rabbit was on the move at a slow to moderate pace so no proper resting marks. I would be with a fox tracking me! :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Could the first be a badger?

Think the second is a rabbit. Bit small for a hare. Looks like the rabbit was on the move at a slow to moderate pace so no proper resting marks. I would be with a fox tracking me! :)

Deffo not a badger, looks like squirrel to me too. The rear print gives it away.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Squirrels do leave exceptionally large tracks for their size, especially in snow.
Here are some I took in our chicken pen - one squirrel visitor looks to be as big as our cats!
Its my left hand and I'm not a small bloke!
IMG_3585.jpg

and this one looking into the print to see how deep the claws have penetrated.
IMG_3586.jpg

ATB

Ogri the trog

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
.... Am trying to distinguish between grey and red squirrel tracks at the moment. ......
Thanks!

I'm no great tracker LOLer,
though I recon the distinguishing feature might be the actual location - the greys largely push the red's out of an area. There are areas of dispute and hence there must be locations where both species exist side-by-side. I'm led to believe that the reds spend considerably more time up in the canopy and rarely visit the ground, so careful measurement of track size might be an indication but I'm not convinced that it would be a foolproof method.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE