Any Ideas for a camp oven??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Hi all, this is my first post here and I'm still working on an Avatar. but I think I can be of some help ( I hope )

The first question you need to ask is what kind of gear you are bringing. you can bring a gas bbq with you, you can bring nothing with you and everything in between.
the question is: how basic do you want to go.

If you want to cook meat and you haven't got anything with you but the meat. you can use a big stone that you can put in or real close to a fire. this you can use as a frying pan.

a second thing that you can try is making a BBQ grating. cut some mosty green twigs and weave them in to a grating. this you can put over a fire pit and roast your meat.

a third thing you can try:
take a big peace of wood, split it in half and nail your peace of meat to it. ( just make a wooden plug or something) this peace of wood with you meat attached to it you can put vertically real close to the fire. ( vertically or a bit sloped )

another thing you can do is take a big peace of meat and just throw it into a firepit. when it's done just scrape off the nasty parts. the innermeat should be good.

Hope this information helps

Greetings, Goof

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
falling rain said:
On a major NATO exercise in Germany my troop caught a wild boar, and we cooked it in a hangi (I didn't know it was called 'hangi at the time.....just knew how to do it) We had to dig a seriously large pit, and severely under estimated how long the beast would take to cook. After 12 hours it still wasn't thoroghly cooked so we jointed it and stuck it in for another 6 hours which did the trick. This was about 1984/5 and as I remember it tasted rather good

that's right. Its hard work and not survival bushcraft.

5 of us did a Maori hangi for a hundred people. Started digging late morning, fire burned for 4 hot hours and the food stayed in for 5-6 hours for a 7.30 dinner. tasted very good. Everyone raved about it.

After it was all done a Samoan wandered over and said that in the islands they work less and dig a shallow pit and build the fire above it!!

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
pteron said:
Thanks for the link Rich but I was specifically after one of the Lodge ovens as they are very highly regarded.

I spent ages looking for a supplier over here for the lodge DO, as you say they look great. Lodge would send one direct from the states for approx £90!! They eventually got a UK distributer, but he was even more expensive.

I have a mate who emigrated to Canada last year, must ask him how much the postage would be - obviously being cast iron they're pretty heavy and therefore expensive to ship.

Let me know if you get anywhere,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE