Any entomologists out there ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beach bum

On a new journey
Jul 15, 2004
cardiff
Just seen something in the garden :confused: by the time I got the digi camera it had gone, Wasp of some sort, all black with yellow knees, yellow stripe on it's black antenna a yellow spot on it's tail and two yellow stripes on it's back that were only visible when it made to take off.
I've never seen the likes before, but then it could be that they were there and I had n't noticed before :rolleyes:

Any ideas anyone ??

regards

beach bum

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
bombadil said:
Sure it was a wasp?
Sounds like it may have been a wasp beetle, a member of the Genus Clytus.
Link here: http://www.gardensafari.net/english/picpages/clytus_arietis.htm

The stripes on the Wasp Beetle's wing case would be visible all the time, wheras an ichneumon wasp's wings might well cover the yellow markings until it opens its wings to take off

My guess is one of the various species of ichneumon wasps that live in Britain, but I don't have any pics of them :(

http://www.arkive.org/species/ARK/invertebrates_terrestrial_and_freshwater/Ophion_luteus/

Keith
----------------------
Se esperança havia, estava nos proles!

B

bombadil

LOL
Just thought that wasp beetles are very often mistaken for wasps for a good many reasons.
Boa assinatura,Keith, esta a tentar dizer uma coisa? :D

beach bum

On a new journey
Jul 15, 2004
cardiff
Thanks for your interest guys, it was the same size as a common wasp matt black, legs as well except for yellow knees. The manner in in which it manipulated it's antenna was very wasp like, they were also black with a yellow stripe.

Wish i got a tidy photo now :(

regards

beach bum

B

bombadil

beach bum said:
Thanks for your interest guys, it was the same size as a common wasp matt black, legs as well except for yellow knees. The manner in in which it manipulated it's antenna was very wasp like, they were also black with a yellow stripe.

Wish i got a tidy photo now :(

regards

beach bum
Yep, always a bummer when that happens.....they tend to scarper on me just when I'm focusing the digi. Got a few good shots of some of Portugals interesting critters, but can't for the life of me figure out how to upload to this site! :(

B

bombadil

Nice one, m8! :D
I'm about as much use as a chocolate teapot when it comes to IT, I'll give it a go....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE