any canoeists/ sea kayakers here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
wondering if there are any canoeists (canadian/ open boat etc.) or sea kayakers here.
i myself am a whitewater/surf kayaker, but i have a load of books on sea kayaking and canoeing. i used to do reviews of gear, dvd's and books for playak, and got sent a load of books by pesda press. (great publisher) i have a large portion of their back catalogue, and if there is interest it would be nice to find new owners for them. so, if there is an interest, i will put a thread up in the swap shop over xmas (when i can get home and see how many i actually have)
it would also just be interesting to see who does what, re; water sports.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I used to do a bit but can't even remember where I have been for a last few years, could have been in Panama or at home with the missus for all I know:(

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I used to be in to it five years ago, but lost my enthusiasm for it - along with my memory, and shortly my life insurance pay out and possibly my personal freedom........

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
ok, looks like this may be the right place to offload these books so. i will do up a list, and we can see if we can match the right book, to the right person, as a few of them are regional.

i will do up a list after xmas. thanks for the feedback. :)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
ok, looks like this may be the right place to offload these books so. i will do up a list, and we can see if we can match the right book, to the right person, as a few of them are regional.

i will do up a list after xmas. thanks for the feedback. :)

Do you have Harvey's book?

I am an open canoest as well as paddling my open cockpit touring kayak which I take on coastal adventures! I've also paddled sit on tops and had a whitewater inflatable kayak/raft for a while. I've even got a PBK 1 lying in the back garden that has just been restored to paddling condition!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am a Level 4 coch in open canoe, have run courses for forum members in the past, lead expeds for a company sending folk around the world to do a bit of paddling (amongst other stuff) and coz I do not have 2 star Kayak I now cannot assess 2 star canoe - bloodi silly new BCU regs!:banghead:

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
Do you have Harvey's book?

who is harvey, and what is his book? lol. i honestly don't know what i have at the moment. i have not looked at them in ages. they are in my mom's attic at home. basically, i was doing reviews for playak for about two years, but i couldn't continue with the work. no time, too much to do. a lot of places left me on their mailing list for reviewing though, pesda press including, so i even now, still regularly get things mailed to me. they land in at my moms house and get shelved straight away. in fact something else landed in this week. dunno what. i dont get back home much. also, i lend them out to my friends, so i have to find out what they have belonging to me too. should be fun! all i remember is, i have a lot of sea kayaking stuff around scotland, wales. not very helpful i know. lol

nice to see so many people into the water here though. and john fenna, you think the BCU is bad? try the ICU!! they are terrible. thank god i dont have to have any dealings with them anymore.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
ive got a canoe/kayak inflatable ive been up to loch awe bushcraft canoe trip but usually mess around on local river .im gonna do a bit of bushcraft canoeing when it gets a bit warmer prefer to stay dry when im out in winter.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk

perpetualelevator

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Can someone clarify for me what an 'open canoe' is? I thought all canoes were open. If it's closed, isn't it a kayak? ;) We just call them canoes. Like how 'hockey' doesn't need the clarification of the word 'ice'.

Having said that, I do enjoy canoeing. Would probably enjoy it more if I could train the dog to sit still while in the canoe...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You can get closed cockpit canoes - like kayaks that you kneel in - for olympic style white water competition.
Brits tend to call anything you paddle a "canoe" - the translation of the Welsh Canoe Assoc's magazine is "kayak".
Years of ignorance compounded by indifference and administered by the uncaring have resulted in a British Canoe Union that will not let a 5 star Qualified level 4 Canoe coach assess 2 star canoeing awards because he does not have a 2 star Kayak award!
We call canoes Open Canoes or Canadian Canoes or even Indian Canoes so that they will not get confused with kayaks which everyone calls "canoes"...
Where does "ice" come in to a game played by teenage girls in short skirts?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE