Any bikers here???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
Oh, sorry to hear that. I hope the damage was all to the machinery?

You bought the bike without asking? :)

"We"?

That all sounds very sensible (apart from planning the tour before asking her). :)

For two on a tour you'll need more than just a top box unless you're planning on using the credit cards a lot. I like a tank bag, consider throwover panniers or something like that too. Make very sure that the luggage will stay on the bike, some of the weight ratings for bike luggage are ridiculously low, like 4.5kg for my Givi panniers.

Keep the chain oiled. If I'm riding a bike with chain drive I always take a little contact lens solution bottle with oil in it. In bad weather you might need to oil the chain every hundred miles. A centre stand makes a huge difference to how easy it is to oil the chain and perhaps to how often you get around to doing it. For touring I'd have gone for the 900 (shaft drive!) but the 600 will see you all right and you can't grumble for four hundred quid. Make sure everything is kept well maintained and build up the distances gradually. If you don't have it serviced by the book, at least make sure the engine oil is changed regularly and the control cables etc. are kept lubricated. Keep a kit list. Keep a log. Make sure the engine isn't burning oil. European breakdown cover is worth considering but you might not get it depending on the age of the bike. Check the regulations for driving a bike in the European countries you plan to tour, for example in some countries back protection, a first aid kit and spares for all bulbs are all legal requirements. You probably won't be allowed to do silly distances daily if you're with SWMBO, but take care not to get over tired. I like to stop and make a brew if I start to feel tired, my brew kit is usually handy in the tank bag.

Have fun. :)

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/dscf2036.jpg
http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/dscf2153.jpg

Oh, and make sure you can get where you're going on the tread that's left on your tyres. :)

The bike was bought with SWMBO's blessing, she wants me to get back out on 2 wheels.
We - yes both of us are up for a bit of adventure, I would be happy to 'rough it' on our trips but SWMBO would more than likely prefer a hotel/B&B, I can see it taking over the costs.
As we gain in confidence and go further afield we will make sure we are prepared for the local laws, etc.

Welshwizard

Forager
Aug 11, 2011
Abergavenny Wales
Well I'm back on a proper motorbike after a 2 1/2 year break after I went over a taxi.
I got myself a cheap (£400) Yamaha Diversion 600, a few minor repairs/tweaks and it's MOT'd
I am waiting on a top box arriving and will be using the bike for a bit of touring/camping with the missus (if I can convince her to do it).

We want to do a bit of the UK and maybe Ireland first then venture into Europe when we have a bit more confidence in our set up.

Any words of advice would be greatly received :)
I had a 1996 model about 8 years ago , had it for around 4 years and did about 5000 miles a year touring and w/e ride outs ,it was comfy and utterly reliable with regular serviceing ,the standard screen is better replaced with dbl bubble or larger touring screen but
other than fitting s/steel exhaust and heated grips,top box ,it was standard ,great on fuel ,seat did get little uncomfortable after 250 miles or so but unless you go for a big tourer like the pan european most of them do .

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Oddly my partner/pillion complains that the larger bikes are less comfortable. More splay I suspect.

Divvy is a good bike for what you are planning, just be careful on wet grass.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Great thread :D Can't believe I've only just seen it!
I've got a 98 R1 streetfighter...
10699245483_f7ceaecbdd.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

jellyfinger

Oct 1, 2013
United Kingdom
I have not seen this thread before. I own 'a few' bikes.... my favorite bike for going away for the weekend to the woods is my dr650 but sometimes take one of the others...I'll post some pics later.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
I have not seen this thread before. I own 'a few' bikes.... my favorite bike for going away for the weekend to the woods is my dr650 but sometimes take one of the others...I'll post some pics later.

Would you happen to be the same Jellyfinger as the one from OSS by any chance?

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Yup . . . .Done it myself mate, bet she wasn't that clean by the time you got out eh?

Do you go to any bike do's ?

aye filthy to be honest :D

yeah, that trip was actually en-route to "eurobike" week in Austria (biggest bike rally in EU)
but usually try and make it to, bulldog bash, NABD rally, due to goto the TT again next year, but will most likely end up going across the pond to daytona bike week :D

jellyfinger

Oct 1, 2013
United Kingdom
The name sounds familiar but I have not really been on the new board and gave up with the old one about two years before it all went wrong. Its a sad loss as it was the people that made it worth logging in. I'm not sure we will ever get back to the good old days.

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
aye filthy to be honest :D

yeah, that trip was actually en-route to "eurobike" week in Austria (biggest bike rally in EU)
but usually try and make it to, bulldog bash, NABD rally, due to goto the TT again next year, but will most likely end up going across the pond to daytona bike week :D

Eurobike week in Austria sounds good will have to look that one up :p been looking for summat a bit different to Faro for a while.

I would not get away with daytona bike week tho . . . lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE