Any advice on a double sleeping bag ;)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Hi all,

I'm off camping in Cornwall with my lovely missus in May and we have a 3 man tent, double mattress and all the gear we really need.

The problem is, we normally end up taking a whole double duvet! its not ideal as it doesn't pack very small!

We have individual sleeping bags from backpacking days but they are not really rated for anything but sleeping in warmer climes... and separate bags feels far from cosy and intimate.

We saw a great looking and v comfortable double sleeping bag in Cotswold Outdoors (other camping stores are available) but it was £160 !!!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, warm, not crazy expensive double sleeping bag for May to October camping that wont need a separate trailer to transport?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Chard

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Stick with the double duvet but make a ripstop stuff sack for it.. When we are comfort camping we get 2 feather pillows, an undersheet and a feather double duvet in a stuff sack 24inch tall by 12inch diameter. Gave up with double sleeping bags.. Too damned hot and no easy escape :)

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
I agree with Stuey - stick with duvet (though never wanted to "escape", myself :p) - various-tog duvets available V cheep on eebay - bathtub groundsheet with hi-rise sides keeps it all in place

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
all great advice everyone! - i think i'll try the stuff sack approach 1st as it will be cheapest :)

I also tend to overheat when the little lady tends to be cold. All to do with surface area to volume ratio!

any one know a good tutorial or link to similar project that i can copy or adapt to make a decent stuff sack that will fit a double duvet in?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most of the inexpensive Coleman rectangular bags will unzip fully and then zip two of them together to form a single double bag. When separated they roll down and pack like any other single bag.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Just get a cheap double thickest sleeping bag that you can find mine was from Go outdoors
Then buy a couple of large fleece blankets and sew them up three sides makes you a very warm fleece liner for your sleeping bag.
Put another fleece blanket over the top of that lot and the condensation that collects on the outside of that instead of your sleeping bag just give the top blanket an air every morning.

Ive used this method for a few years :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE