Another gem from Montana

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Last Friday - the mailman had a very pleasant surprise for me:

newkid.jpg

(Shown right)

Before I got hooked on the SBT - I really was into small knives for bushcraft. I mean small blades somewhere in the 3' range. The way they handle and maneuver, the weight, balance and the fact that they just will do all when paired with a good saw & axe - it makes these hard to beat. The blade that I took to Canada two years ago was tiny - the smallest in the participants' knife-pile. It worked very well, apart from being a tad too thick and having not that much room left for batoning... Even Mors liked it. After that course - I turned to the SBT for its superior slicing ability and comfortable handle. I sold the small knife some time later.

sideview.jpg

Side view - notice the puukko like shape, the continious curve in the blade and the strong handle configuration

But over time, I really started missing that little knife. The SBT is a great carver, but its weight and blade size makes it more a survival knife to me. A knife that you would take on expeditions or on trips where your gear is limited otherwise. A small knife that you can always carry when going for a stroll and that is sheeple friendly - as far as knives can go - is a big plus. And that counts bigtime over here.

topview.jpg

The grip is very comfortable for its size and just long enough for my hands - comfort almost up to par with my SBT

This one will see a lot of use - either in bushcraft, hunting, backpacking and just plain ordinary kitchen tasks. It won't completely replace my SBT - there is no more comfortable knife - But this one is on my neck from now on. I will take some shots of it in action when I have spent some more time with it.

With a 3mm thick blade in the familiar nice high grind, patterned towards a puukko and cloathed in nice black Micarta - it really is a tough little gem. Mors would be liking this one too I guess. Thanks again, Rod!

-Emile

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I realy liked the look of the SBT knives when I saw them reviewd on another site and, lacking funds, had a go at making my own. Its turned out ok, but I agree a smaller blade is nice to have around as well...

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Looks great. What steel choice did you make? Chris

They both are in A2. I don't believe in miracle steels - but I find the edge holding in these knives from Rod spot on. The edge keeps great and they are relatively easy to sharpen/keep up. I usually maintain the edges on a strop when out. The cardboard with 2 grits of waterproof sandpaper paper is only for backups/edge accidents.

-Emile

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
It's a 12 month wait, but if you've got the time and the dough, it's well worth it. They are really performers with a lot of thought gone into the making.

excellent choice

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Really another excellent additon Emile. I like the shorter version I have for most of my wood carving projects. Just finished this one using the Skookum carver for all the preliminary shaping.

birchjamstirspoon8173ho5.jpg

I would not want to be without my SBT's I tell you that.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Thanks Emile. This one was fun. My neighbor took down two Weeping Birch trees and I was able to assist to save off most of the wood for carving. I split a piece of the main trunk to start a long narrow bowl, and this spoon came from the slab I took off the side. I have quite a few more trunk pieces so I hope I can get a few more similar spoons out of them.

Are you going to have time to find some wood for your new one this weekend?

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Hey Emile, I was looking at this again, is the handle on that red SBT re-shaped a little? Did Rod do this for you? Just curious! Chris

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
That's a stunning little carver, Emile. I don't know what the wait is like for Rod's knives at the moment but I'm very glad I nipped in and got my two SBT's when I did. They really are superb tools - well thought out and beautifully made. But that carver is something special. I'm very envious!

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Hey Emile, I was looking at this again, is the handle on that red SBT re-shaped a little? Did Rod do this for you? Just curious! Chris

Hey Chris,

The handle on my SBT is original. The buttcap and blade steel in the handle is a bit darker now from the patina. There are minor handle variations per knife. My first SBT has a slightly slimmer handle pattern. But all are comfortable.

[edit] After looking at the picture I think I know why you asked that question. At first glance - It seems that the back of the red handle is not evenly shaped. But that's just the lack of depth from the picture lighting and the somewhat off camera angle. The handle is symmetric. [/edit]

Cheers,
-Emile

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Thanks, Emile. I asked because I have a pretty early SBT and your handle seemed like a different profile. But I think it is just the light though as you say. Really love Rod's knives. I think I'll get in line for a smaller one, looks like I'll be waiting quite a while! Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE