Another Deer For The Larder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Received a call from a business out on County Road 26. For several days they'd been glassing a deer about 1/2 mile up the road with a broken front leg.

I drove to the business and they said the deer had just gone back into the woods, and pointed out about where.

I drove to the spot and took the shot gun out of the squad and reloaded it with slugs. I walked up and down the side of the road until I picked up the most recent spoor and followed it into the woods.

I'd never been in the woods in this particular spot and it was a pleasent surprise. Lots of small highland cedar clumps interspersed between birch and maple and large virgin white pine - very pretty. I soon located multiple deer beds and jumped a deer. I had it in my sights, but decided it was much too fast to be my quarry. I continued following the spoor of the injured deer, recognizable in deeper snow by the dragging front leg.

Before too long, the land dropped away to a steep wash with a small stream running through it. Surprisingly, the water was partly open. Must be a good spring.

Following the tracks south along the stream, I came to an open swamp area of cattails and grasses. I got the feeling the injured deer had gone to ground in the grasses. I stood and waited.

It was very cold, and I was not dressed for the weather. After a time, my fingers and ears began to numb. I wasn't too worried about my ears, but I was concerned about making a good shot, and began to will warm blood into my fingers.

After about 20 minutes I noticed a slight movement in the grass a couple of hundred feet away. I ran around the side of the swamp area, as the deer struggled to rise. It only took one shot to put it down.

I dressed the deer, a buck, and made a couple of blaze marks on my way back to the road. After work, I returned and dragged him to the road and threw him in the back of my truck. Another one for the larder.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I reckon you deserve a bit of venison for standing there in the cold, with no guarantee of success. Wonder how it broke a leg?

We have six species of deer in the UK - I get the impression that the plain vanilla term 'deer' in the US usually refers to a whitetail?

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Nice one Pierre

For the deer an unfortunate meeting with a car I guess. Do you have any room left in your larder?

If you were not to carry out this service are there others that would or would the beast be left to nature.

I love to hunt but hate the thought of a wounded animal not being followed up and dispatched.

I will be taking my youngest boy stalking/deer hunting in February, we found a really nice Browning high wall in .45/70 just before christmas. Due to a lack of time and all my loading gear being packed away I've had to buy half a case of factory ammo, that came as a shock to the wallet!

Enjoy your venison, Pothunter.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Doc said:
I reckon you deserve a bit of venison for standing there in the cold, with no guarantee of success. Wonder how it broke a leg?

We have six species of deer in the UK - I get the impression that the plain vanilla term 'deer' in the US usually refers to a whitetail?

As Pothunter mentioned - I've no doubt a car was the cause of the broken leg - and yes - "deer" invariably refers to white tails in the US. If it is a mule deer, the other large variety - it is usually mentioned. There are some pygmy species in the SE US, but they may well be a white tail variation. I'm not sure. I've heard they top out at about 80 pounds - whereas some local white tails go over 300 pounds - though most large bucks here are in the 200 to 270 pound range.

45-70 is a very nice caliber for our local brush country and I've had a number of them over the years. The only ones I've had in single shot were trapdoor Springfields, two of them - which were originally designed for black powder. I have had a couple of Winchester and Marlin lever guns in that caliber. Wish I'd hung on to all of them as they'd be worth quite a bit today.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Good man!

Can't see an Officer from our Police Force providing quite such a useful service to wildlife via the hard shoulder of the M25! But there's a thought!

Cheers

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Klenchblaize said:
Good man!

Can't see an Officer from our Police Force providing quite such a useful service to wildlife via the hard shoulder of the M25! But there's a thought!

Cheers

Different job I suppose. One of my partners is a former New York City police officer, and he was absolutely floored the first time he was required to shoot a deer. He called me on the cell phone and asked me how to do it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE