Another Cold Case - Dead stuff within!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
OK, who can ID this spinal column. It was taken in a small glen on the outskirts of my local woodland. No people go down there and literally within feet of this is an ancient badger sett with about 15 outlying entrances, four of which have been in use by a fox and her cubs. The woodland edge looks onto a crop field with a neighbouring field holding sheep. Pretty much a cert that it's a fox kill, but what is it :naughty:

I have included my knife for scale (same length as a Woodlore, but wider by about 7mm).

23June20093.jpg

23June20094.jpg

23June20095.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh dear,

Unusually hot weather, armed men in the woods, spinal columns strewn everywhere... I can hear a teutonic voice say " What's got Billy so spooked?...."

Run gentlemen.:AR15firin

:D :D :D GB

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm not sure tbh. 2 things spring to mind though. small fox/ hare

I'm swaying towards fox. It seems to have some bone structure where the tail would be, the shape at the right of the top 2 pics looks similar to how a fox carries its tail.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
My immediate thought when I saw it was that it was one of the cubs that had bitten the dust and was put to good use by it's brethren afterwards. There were originally six cubs that had grown to a decent size, but I've only ever seen two in the last couple of weeks. My other thought was a lamb taken by the vixen. No deer around here, or hare.

At the mo, I'm leaning towards cub-icide.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE