an oak bench

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Bit off topic but I thought I would show a project I have been working on. Its an oak bench commissioned for a new burial ground at Charlton-on-Otmoor just North of Oxford. The uprights are green oak the seat and handrails are dry, fitted with round mortice and tenons and copper boat nails. I installed it yesterday and the folk seemed quite pleased.

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

Earlyturtle

Forager
Nov 5, 2007
Bristol, England
That's really something else Robin, beautiful shape to it, interesting style too (the seat plank extending beyond the arms), is that something you made up?
Excellent stuff!

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That's really something else Robin, beautiful shape to it, interesting style too (the seat plank extending beyond the arms), is that something you made up?
Excellent stuff!

:) sweet, just sweet,

I'm curious , how did you finish it? Did you use anything or leave it green to dry out and weather naturally?

Thanks guys, I was pleased with it too. The design was a sort of response to the wood I had available and discussions with the clients about what they wanted. I had made another bench with just a central back years ago which they saw and liked. This one.
scomegabench.jpg

Finish is just a coat of linseed, I am happy to leave them dry but the clients preferred the bright look. Dry ones age more quickly to a lovely silver grey. I cut all the sapwood off, its a bit wasteful but leaves a bench that needs no preservative treatment.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Robin, have you got those legs set into the ground, or are they all free standing?
Lovely job mate.

Eric

Set in about 18" Eric so its not going anywhere.

Very nice bench, makes me just wanna sit right down and have a rest!!

Al.

PS If you ever get around to doing a folding version I'll take a couple!

Probably still close to 1/2 a ton of oak in it so its never going to be portable.:D

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Very nice Robin,
sorry an other question, do you seal the end grain to stop moisture ingress from the ground?
jon

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
That's fantastic, I'm really jealous of your skill, I'm awful at woodwork and am in great awe and respect to you guys who can make those beautiful things. It looks as if will last lifetimes, good going!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Did you fasten the seat to the uprights with plugged screw's?
I like how you dared to use arm spindles all different sizes. What method did you use to drill the holes for them (setting them out), it looks like the holes are stopped and not drilled right through? I temporily fix the chair arm in place with lath's, then drill the top arm one right through first, then drill into the seat with a long hand auger using the first hole to line up so they are in line. How did you cut the round tennon's. I just got a tennon cutter that goes on a brace, it works very fast and precise infinitely variable any where from 3/8 inch to 1 1/4 inch diam. I used to do them with draw knife and/or block plane but the cutter is way faster
I like shapes like that what you have made, not mundane like a bog standard 1950's teak park bench, but not airy fairy way out hippy pixie-forms either :lmao: Reminds me a bit of George Nakashima's table's and benches, adventurous and sensibly practical at the same time:)

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Very nice Robin,
sorry an other question, do you seal the end grain to stop moisture ingress from the ground?
jon

No, Having removed a great many bits of old oak from the ground over the years, fences gateposts etc the bit 2 feet underground is always as new. The places where things fail are
1st if there is any sapwood that goes in under 5 years if in contact with the ground, can last fairly well if in a dry place eg fence rails.
2nd at the joints where moisture holds.
3rd the 2" above and below ground will rot (very slowly if all heartwood)

Did you fasten the seat to the uprights with plugged screw's?
I like how you dared to use arm spindles all different sizes. What method did you use to drill the holes for them (setting them out), it looks like the holes are stopped and not drilled right through? I temporily fix the chair arm in place with lath's, then drill the top arm one right through first, then drill into the seat with a long hand auger using the first hole to line up so they are in line. How did you cut the round tennon's. I just got a tennon cutter that goes on a brace, it works very fast and precise infinitely variable any where from 3/8 inch to 1 1/4 inch diam. I used to do them with draw knife and/or block plane but the cutter is way faster
I like shapes like that what you have made, not mundane like a bog standard 1950's teak park bench, but not airy fairy way out hippy pixie-forms either :lmao: Reminds me a bit of George Nakashima's table's and benches, adventurous and sensibly practical at the same time:)

Seat to uprights copper boat nails, I used to use 6" nails countersunk and plugged but the boat nails are faster add a nice feature and do not react with the oak. Nails hold better than screws in end grain.

Setting out arms and in fact everything else is just eyeballed. I hold the arm where I want it, mark the centres of the spindles on the seat and try to remember the approximate angle I think will look right. I fit the spindles to the seat (drilled right through) cut the tops off in a line at the angle I want the arm at and put the top tenon on with a veritas tenon cutter (gorgeous tool like a big cast aluminum pencil sharpener) pop the arm on and draw round the top of the spindle tenons and use this to drill the mortice. Mortices go about half way through then I send another boat nail down through the top into the end of the tenon to make extra sure.

Nakashima is certainly one of my many inspirations and I am deeply complimented that it reminds you a bit of his work.

Nice design and looks like it will last far into the future.
:D

I hope so, I certainly design these things with that in mind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE