An axe with a flexible wood handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi...thought I'd share this video I recently compiled.
Mr Moderator, please move my post if it is not posted on the right place.

Enjoy :)

[video=youtube;y78U55kBv5Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y78U55kBv5Y&list=UU18E YArvvBvMrVhNrYgGZeQ&index=1&fe ature=plcp[/video]

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looks to me like he doesn't have much control over where he hits.

Look at his cut on the left side of the tree... I'd say that was pretty good control of the axe to achieve a cut like that

bendyaxe.jpg

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Are you watching the same clip,, both cuts on the tree are no wider than the axe head ,,looks ok to me

Jason
Erm, that's not accurate.

Someone who is good with an axe will be able to position the blows to within less than a centimetre. There is at least one blow where he is out by 3-4".

He's also just chopping downward, no upward blows, so if the tree was much bigger he'll very soon get chips jammed and have to faff about to free them.

Sorry, I don't see great axe work there. But then I grew up watching axemen race.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Erm, that's not accurate.

Someone who is good with an axe will be able to position the blows to within less than a centimetre. There is at least one blow where he is out by 3-4".

He's also just chopping downward, no upward blows, so if the tree was much bigger he'll very soon get chips jammed and have to faff about to free them.

Sorry, I don't see great axe work there. But then I grew up watching axemen race.

This sort of stuff you mean http://youtu.be/fIz2sNmAffw all good and well but the axes they use are for one 4 to 6 times bigger than the one used in the clip and cost thousands of dollers ,,,and the guy on the clip got the job done ,,i think you are just splitting hairs,,,,, it was well accurate enough to get the job done ......

Jason

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
What's the point of striking the wood within one centimetre every time? It doesn't help for felling a tree. One needs to open up a gob on both sides of the tree to get it the wood to break. I think this man cuts down a tree with minimal effort, even though i think i wouldn't like a felxible axe, it seems to work for him.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
This sort of stuff you mean http://youtu.be/fIz2sNmAffw all good and well but the axes they use are for one 4 to 6 times bigger than the one used in the clip and cost thousands of dollers ,,,and the guy on the clip got the job done ,,i think you are just splitting hairs,,,,, it was well accurate enough to get the job done ......

Jason
That sort of thing - but the axes used back then came from the hardware store and cost bobbins. The champ axemen had beer guts the size of rhinos and the uniform was white plimsoles, white trousers and blue singlets - Aussie blokes dressing up to impress the ladies. ;)

I don't deny that the bloke in that video did a good job of chopping down the tree, it's just that his bendy handle seemed to send the axe all wibbly wobbly. More of a good craftsman managing to use his tools rather than good tools.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi everyone! Thanks for all the comments.

I made the video solely because I am amazed at how much traditional craft and knowledge that still exists within Stem and his people. The Semelai tribe, according to some books have made Lake Bera their home for more than 600 years and for that I think they have adapted very well to their surrounding. They are one of the few indigenous communities in Malaysia I know that still make dug out canoes, fire pistons, musical instruments with materials from freshwater puffer fish (from the lake) and even harvest tree oil using fire the traditional way. The Semelais at Lake Bera are like my 'Myth busters' :)

As for the flexible wood handle, Stem refers to it as 'Mempulut'. The word 'Pulut' itself means 'glutinous rice'...'Mempulut' is literally 'to glutinous rice'.

I am amazed because he did not use rattan for a flexible handle. Rattan is something he could find easily in the jungle around the lake. He told me the flexible wood handle lessens the vibration to the hands and arm when in use. This would allow them to work longer hours. If he expects to be chopping down big trees, he would soak the wood overnight as it would allow the wood to be more 'springy'.

Initially, I thought Stem was the only one using the wood. But when I visited another village where Jamri (the fire piston maker) is staying and casually asks him what kind of wood he uses for his axe, he too brought out a piece of Mempulut wood. Jamri was demonstrating his mempulut wood towards the end of the video.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I can see the handle has a few benefits, but it also lessens impact force. Less force = more blows = more work. They may be able to work longer hours with that axe, but i wonder if they will be working longer hours "because" of that axe. :)

Good vid though, i expect the axe is pretty lightweight too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE