American Indian Frybread and Frybread pudding.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
My wife wouldn't give me her recipe, so I did a search and found an easy make frybread recipe. From there, the pudding is also easily made and the end result is very tasty.

Frybread

2 cups self-rising flour
About a tbsp. baking powder
About a cup of milk or water

Mix the flour and baking powder together. Add milk or water and stir to make a stiff dough but workable with your hands (not sticky). Knead together a few times till dough is smooth. Pinch off a piece of the dough about the size of a small rubber ball (for large piece of Fry Bread). The old way is to flour your hands and flatten between the palms until the size of a small dessert plate to about 1/4 inch thick. If this is difficult for you to do, put the dough on a floured surface and flatten with palm of hands or roll with a rolling pin to form about a 6-inch circle. Keep your hands floured as you work with the dough. I use an 8-inch iron skillet filled with Canola oil or another good vegetable oil to fry the dough. Fry until the dough is a light golden brown and turn to fry both sides. Drain on paper towels.

Frybread pudding

6 pieces Indian fry bread
1 c sugar
1 c water
1/2 c raisins
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 c grated mild cheese

Split fry bread into thin halves. Caramelize sugar, then add water to it to
form a syrup. Layer fry bread, raisins and cheese. Pour syrup over mixture and
bake in a 300-degree oven until all syrup is absorbed.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
RovingArcher said:
My wife wouldn't give me her recipe, so I did a search and found an easy make frybread recipe. From there, the pudding is also easily made and the end result is very tasty.

Frybread

2 cups self-rising flour
About a tbsp. baking powder
About a cup of milk or water

For a more old fashioned fry bread (my great aunt's recipe) - forget the baking powder and cut the flour with bear oil (refrigerate to get it hard) or home rendered lard. Deep fry in bear oil. - Milk should be the evaporated variety.

After taking it out of the hot grease, sprinkle with granulated maple sugar. Comes out very flaky.

PG

browndrake

Feb 4, 2006
Arizona, USA
Fry bread is practically a staple back home.

Our favorite recipie is similar to yours:

6 cups flour
2 Tbls baking powder
1Tbls salt
1/2 cup powdered milk (optional but best)
2 1/2 cups warm water.

sift together ingredients, add water gradually and mix until a soft dough.
let stand for 10 minutes then.

pat or roll out and fry in shortening (or oil, lard, etc.)

We top them with seasoned ground beef, beens, lettace, tomattoes, cheese....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE