Alternative to underblanket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HelenG

Dec 26, 2016
Pembrokeshire, UK
Hi,

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first hammock and can't yet afford to buy the underblanket. I'm wondering if I could achieve the same effect with a woollen blanket slung under the hammock with ends knotted and tied up with paracord?

Any thoughts or alternatives?

Helen

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
A cheap sleeping bag can also be used as an under blanket, or turned into a cocoon, seen that used down to about -3

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Use a sleeping mat inside the hammock or as bopdude said an old/cheap sleeping bag under the hammock until you can get a proper UQ

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Now I was the other way, found my UQ much warmer than a mat

Edit: going to try a homemade cocoon this week on a two nighter, should be toasty, hopefully.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Before I had an under blanket I had a mat. Thermarest Ridgerest, large, cut to a coffin shape. Rectangular mats are a frigid night waiting to happen. Foam needs to have a "skinned" surface, bought some 6mm foam off the internet, not an actual sleep mat, and the surface isn't skinned, same closed cell finish on top and bottom as I get when I cut it. That stuff GRIPS and it is all but impossible to get it and me to lie properly in the hammock. The Ridgerest is a lot easier to move around on.

I traded for a down quilt, but I made my own synthetic one with bits from Extremtextil in Germany. Wouldn't say it was easy, but the hardest part was fitting it to the hammock, a second person was invaluable to help with that. The actual sewing was a bit tedious, needed a lot of pins to keep slippery fabric in place, but if I can manage it I reckon anyone could.

Hope you find something that works for you :)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
CCF mat first and underquilt 2nd. I use a CCF mat at all times, underquilt sometimes. A old sleeping bag can make a great underquilt, it worked for kim for a few colder camps we did a treat.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
as an underquilt I've used a few things including plastic bubblewrap type packaging(just an experiment) a poncho liner, and a home made feather/down underquilt, they all worked, I don't see why a blanket wouldn't work, but it's a personal thing, try as many options as you can and seek many opinions before you buy.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've often thought of a double layer of tarp then using leaf litter / duff as a filler. This all depends on having a woodland with a lot of duff, no dog poop, the time to collect it and a potential bug issue.

As far as I can see there are three types of insulation methods:-

1, sleeping on something = CCF matt. These can be simple or modified to provide extra cover / wrap around arms /leg area.

2, Hang something under, if this is a blanket, duvet, spare sleeping bag or purpose make quilt it all pretty much equals the same thing.

3, Cocoon.

In practise I used a combination of 2 & 3 depending on how cold it is. A purpose made under quilt inside my insulated Jerven bag used as a cocoon.

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Before I had an underblanket I used an untrimmed CCF mat, which was warm but was a bit sweaty. I improved this by wrapping a light wool blanket around the mat. I found this very comfortable, but a good underquilt is much better. I used a synthetic one for a long time before I bought a down one, but with hindsight I would have used the CCF mat and blanket for a bit longer and saved up for a down underquilt. If you get into hammocking you'll probably buy a down underquilt in the end anyway.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE