Alternative to craghopper kiwi trousers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
I have had some REALLY bad experiences related to CH and now would steer totally clear of the outlet shop, at least the one at Fleetwood anyway. I am totally convinced that some of the stuff there is not perfects but sold as such. I stick to a mainstream retailer even TKMax, Costco etc who dont seem to have stuff with puckered seams, missing buttons, holes etc.

Splashed out on Nosi gear for son to take to Ecuador and it basically fell apart. Complained at shop "Lifetime Warranty, don't think so mate, prove it" : "Oh you can, well it's my loss they wont take them back, bleat bleat......" :(

Got resolved really quickly and pleasantly by a lady from "CH Head Office" after having a moan on their facebook page. He now has 2 sets of Bear shirt/trs as they could not do a like for like on the one set Nosi Lites returned so went up what they had. Turned round a peeved customer who was being a nuisance goodjob

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I always wear Kiwis for bushy jaunts and have never paid more than £20. Best so far is £17 at my local outlet centre. The Regatta store in these places tends to have a Craghoppers section as well as the cheapo (but still pretty functional) Regatta stuff. I got a down gilet for £45 recently - proper bargain and in brown to boot!

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
now i dont know if anyone new this but go outdoors do what looked like an exaxt replica but there own make and in all sizes for 4.99 cos i was looking at them last weekend after mad dave pointed them out at middlewood just thought i would let you no

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Have a look at the 5.11 tactical 'pants' (yes i know the pants bit is almost annoying enough to steer well clear). I have a pair of Taclites (the lighter weight polycotton fabric) in 'Tundra' - a kind of browny green, and they are smashing. I think £30 if you shop around. Not used Craghoppers, but i think the 5.11 are a little thicker. They dry out quickly though.

garethw

Settler
I was going to suggest the 5.11 'trouser/Pants' as well, I've been looking at them and my get a pair next year.
As the the Kiwi's..I've had 6 pairs as everyday work trousers and they have all been hammered. I buy them two pairs at a time and have managed to get a couple of years out of them..
- The first ones were the original kiwi's and they had several weak points..
- they chafed around the base of the heal on my boots, like jeans do.
- They split at the crotch, where they only seemed to be lightly stitched.
- And as with most machine sewn buttons the thread unravels and the button falls off.
- finally the belt was a joke I just removed it and used a leather one instead.
The last pair I got were the new version...
- they had extra tape sewn on the heel so it won't fray.
- A better zip fly
- a defferent belt, but even worse...as it just comes undone too easily..usually the elastic on my flleece just puts pressure in the buckle and it undoes... again it was binned.
- I've had these over 12 months now and the button is still on (luck I guess) and the critch stritching is holding up.
The minor imporvements do make for a better garment. I think I paid £19 for them in dark olive and they are a very comfortable tough piece of kit.
Regards
Gareth

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I'm quite happy with my kiwi's but have to agree that the new belt is a joke. The quick release is far too effective and you struggle to keep the belt done up, espcially if you have any kind of harness on. The old belt was the most comfortable but at least it kept closed. The trousers though are great and I get mine when go outdoors are selling them for £15.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Hawkshead do a similar trouser although it has a single zipped hip pocket but with another zipped security pocket on the side. The cargo pocket tends to be on the left leg though. They do a normal walking version plus a lined winter version. I have both and have paid half price (usually about £17/18) in their sales. They are pretty hard wearing and water repellant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE