Alt berg "tabbing" boot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Hi, I was on the alt berg website looking for some new boots and when they advertise a "tabbing boot" is this to mean tabbing in the military context of long distance hikes or is there another meaning for it? Cheers

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
They are lightweight boots built around a running shoe last and designed for running, unfortunately they wear out fast. The soles are quite thin and soft and resoling is quite expensive.

Tabbing tends to be fast-paced, more like a slow jog than a walk, if you use these boots regularly for their intended purpose I'd plan on replacing them once a year.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Well I'm going to South Africa for six months next year where I'll be doing a lot of hiking. It also possibly quite a bit of running so do think they'll be up for the job?

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Also just to add I'm actually looking at their sneeker boot which is based around a tabbing boot but has a bit higher around the ankles

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
To be honest, if you're doing a lot of running you should be in running shoes, doing a lot of hiking you should be in hiking shoes.

Trying to compromise with one pair of footwear for everything is just that - a compromise.

Six months hard use in the bush is a test for any footwear, so I would advise you to take the tabbing boots if they suit you; but also take sandals (for other activities and to air your feet) and also some lightweight runners if you plan to run a lot. This also gives you spare footwear in the event of any 'wardrobe malfunctions'

In practice, there is not much difference between the tabbing and the sneekers. I'd advise trying both pairs on before you buy them, when you find the pair that fits they are like slippers and you'll want all your footwear to be handmade in Yorkshire!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE