Alpkit Pipedream sleepings bags - some questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
I understand a few you are proud owners of one or more of the bags in the Alpkit Pipedream range.

I'm thinking of getting a PD600 for general use. The low weight and pack volume is very appealing and (in my opinion) there isn't really that much of a price difference anymore between the Pipedream and the Skyehigh range.

I fidget a lot in my sleep and sleep cold (which I'll put down to be being Woman the wrong side of 30)

How accurate to do rate the temperature ratings and does the bag feel restrictive at all?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've always had a toasty sleep in my 400 or 600, Carol used the 600 at the weekend and was plenty warm enough in the tipi.

I get on okay with mummy shaped bags, I know some folk don't. The dimensions are just about right for my average frame

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I got the skyehigh as I wanted a warm bag. I too sleep cold outdoors and am the wrong side of 30. Year round camping for me so it was a big lofty down bag I wanted. I've been impressed with mine this winter but it hasn't been cold when I've been out in it. Perhaps -7 at most. All my other winter bags have been military ones that have far more space than the Alpkit one but I don't feel restricted in it. It's just right, not too much dead air space to heat so that's a winner for me. I've yet to find a bag that keeps me warm down to what the label says but I do rate the Alpkit. My sleeping cold could have something to do with enjoying an ale or two before bed when camping so your mileage will vary...

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Skyehigh 600 here... I like a bit of freedom and the lack of long sizing in the pipedream sealed it.

I sleep warm and I've had it to the very depths of winter locally (-8 or so) and with a liner/bivi been too warm. on its own I use it throughout the summer as a bag, or quilt depending.

Whatever you decide, it sounds like you would need a middle from the range.
The 1000 SH/800 PD are really for extreme weather, -15 or so.

I find the rating on mine spot on. If you talk to Alpkit, they are very helpful.

Last edited:

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Well, I went for the Pipedream 800. The specs for the 600 are pretty similar to my current bag and the 800 is no heavier.

Marmot Pinnacle Gossamer http://www.trailspace.com/gear/marmot/pinnacle/
Total weight -
1133 g (1152g on the kitchen scales)
Fill weight -
637 g
Fill power - 800 (US)
EN comfort rating -
22.3 F / -5.4 C

I have been cold in the Marmot at temperatures above 0 C. When the weather is milder I always use the bag unzipped like a quilt.

Will report back once the new one gets some use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE