Alone (UK) TV series. What ten items would you choose?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
@Broch I don't think I'd waste my time trying to shoot squirrels with a sling shot. I'm not anywhere near as accurate enough. I'd snare them I think... I think they're too small a yield of energy to be worth the effort of hunting them. They're not like the porky buggers seen in town parks in the uk .

I'm not sure to be honest. You can get 5 or 6 squirrel at the bait at a time and they don't care when one is shot, returning within half an hour. In a hide you could be as close as 10m away. I've had a great deal of success culling them using a basic break-barrel this way. A bit of prior practice and I reckon you could be pretty sure of a kill most times. At 10m you wouldn't need to over-stretch the band and, if you ran out of shot you could use some of those rounded pebbles that are on the shore.

Snaring would be good as well in as much as you can get on with other stuff such as the fishing. The squirrel, as you say, is not a big meal but would be a nice alternative to pike :)

I was impressed with some of the shelters; I'm not sure I would be building one to the quality of some on there. One of the ladies had a raised fire at her entrance I think; throw some pine twigs on that to create a flame and I think her shelter was pretty bear proof.

I've not watched the end yet but I know whom I'm putting my money on :)

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
1 - Hunting (Survival) Knife - Multi Use 2 - Saw (Katanaboy) - More efficient than axe 3 - 550 Paracord - multi use 4 - Multi Season Sleeping Bag - cold out there 5 - Frying Pan - simple cooking 6 - Water Bottle - carry water 7 - Ferro Rod Set - light fire 8 - Fishing Line Set - catch fish, multi use, make gill net, snares, etc 9 - 2kg Beef Jerky - 10 days rations - high protein (long lasting energy, bait crayfish traps 10 - 2kg Pemmican - 10 days rations - survival food -
is it a metal water bottle?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Someone did resort to cutting their tanned leather belt to boil and eat. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I'd take a spare leather boot, so I could boil some water up.
Tee Dee you cant have a spare leather boot but you do get 1 pair of boots and some wellies. I would store boiled water in the wellies
I'm not sure to be honest. You can get 5 or 6 squirrel at the bait at a time and they don't care when one is shot, returning within half an hour. In a hide you could be as close as 10m away. I've had a great deal of success culling them using a basic break-barrel this way. A bit of prior practice and I reckon you could be pretty sure of a kill most times. At 10m you wouldn't need to over-stretch the band and, if you ran out of shot you could use some of those rounded pebbles that are on the shore.

Snaring would be good as well in as much as you can get on with other stuff such as the fishing. The squirrel, as you say, is not a big meal but would be a nice alternative to pike :)

I was impressed with some of the shelters; I'm not sure I would be building one to the quality of some on there. One of the ladies had a raised fire at her entrance I think; throw some pine twigs on that to create a flame and I think her shelter was pretty bear proof.

I'd take a spare leather boot, so I could boil some water up.
Tee Dee you cant have a spare leather boot but you do get 1 pair of boots and some wellies. I would store boiled water in the wellies

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Jared dya reckon that was for just the cameras or a serious attempt to eat?

Suspect he might of heard of eating cowhide, Nigeria has a dish called ponmo, but it definitely isn't tanned, and especially not with modern techniques.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Believe using barbed hooks are illegal in the Northwest Territories. In the US series, in different locations they were allowed. Particularly remember Carleigh in season 5 had a freak accident and a hook almost completely disappeared into her hand. She couldn't get it out, and had to medically evac.

Mmm... that is a handicap :( - it also stops one being able to long-line as barbless hooks are useless on a long-line. In which case, I think I'd have a go at making my own hooks out of the jaw of the first pike I caught :)

TBH hobo fishing reels are pretty difficult to land fish with on barbless hooks without a way of keeping tension on the line.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Are there rules we don't know about? (how would you know? :)) - for example, is there any reason one couldn't bind hooks together to make a treble? and, when it says no lures, does that mean none supplied but it's OK to make one out of the spoon?

BTW, squirrel tail make great lures :) I've caught some big trout using squirrel tail!

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Are there rules we don't know about? (how would you know? :)) - for example, is there any reason one couldn't bind hooks together to make a treble? and, when it says no lures, does that mean none supplied but it's OK to make one out of the spoon?

BTW, squirrel tail make great lures :) I've caught some big trout using squirrel tail!
ah yes. I get it now. Barbless hooks explains why the contestants were running away from the shore to keep tension on the line. That explains it,

Last edited:

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Have seen trebles taken and used at some locations in US version. A treble is counted as 3 hooks.

And people have made flies and lures out of trash found like pop cans etc.

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK

That's something that I thought about to. I like predator fishing. I'm not a carp man.....

I once got my small finesse lure, single size 8? hook bumped by a pike, but he kept spitting it out. So I rigged up an East-coast treble with 3 separate hooks and fed one of the hooks through the same small lure. The pile took it on the drop and I nailed him. Had him on the bank within minutes.

If I knew there were pike in the water I'd deffo be rigging improvised trebles, no messing about.

Reactions: stonepark and Broch

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
This summer, l learned how to make a couple of different styles of fish hooks from natural materials. I'd definatly be practicing that skill before I went out there.

I won't be going on the show, but any primitive skills such as cordage making, fish hook making, and things like that would be high on my agenda to skill up, and give me an edge over other contestants.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE