Alone (UK) TV series. What ten items would you choose?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Revised list:

Axe
Saw
Multitool
2kg biltong
2kg pemmican
Multi season sleeping bag
2qt pot with lid
Ferro rod
Gill net
Fishing set

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've been trying to work out what would be the best squirrel bait - maybe the gorp :) Bait and the slingshot may be a good protein supply (squirrel and duck) added to the fishing gear; I think I could survive food wise.

I'd be very tempted to find a way of reworking the hook so they had a bit of a barb on them too. Barbless hooks in a river with stony shallows do not make easy fighting fish landing especially without a rod that keeps the tension on.

I don't think any of us know how we would survive the mental challenges. Even if, as a lot of us on here do, we enjoy our own company, the added stress of food, predators, storms, boredom, etc. could be demoralising.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Believe using barbed hooks are illegal in the Northwest Territories. In the US series, in different locations they were allowed. Particularly remember Carleigh in season 5 had a freak accident and a hook almost completely disappeared into her hand. She couldn't get it out, and had to medically evac.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
@Broch I don't think I'd waste my time trying to shoot squirrels with a sling shot. I'm not anywhere near as accurate enough. I'd snare them I think... I think they're too small a yield of energy to be worth the effort of hunting them. They're not like the porky buggers seen in town parks in the uk .

I'd concentrate on fishing, using the gill net and improvising a rod and reel set up. I did wander why they didn't launch the gill net into deeper water, securing it to the bank?

I'm also thinking about what type of shelter I'd build. While there's a fair bit time to fill keeping me occupied, I'd be aware of the calorie expenditure building it! I'd probably go all out on day one to get a good enough shelter built while I have good energy.

I'm also wandering if anyone employs a 'rest/recovery' plan into their survival plan......?

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I've been trying to work out what would be the best squirrel bait - maybe the gorp :) Bait and the slingshot may be a good protein supply (squirrel and duck) added to the fishing gear; I think I could survive food wise.

I'd be very tempted to find a way of reworking the hook so they had a bit of a barb on them too. Barbless hooks in a river with stony shallows do not make easy fighting fish landing especially without a rod that keeps the tension on.

I don't think any of us know how we would survive the mental challenges. Even if, as a lot of us on here do, we enjoy our own company, the added stress of food, predators, storms, boredom, etc. could be demoralising.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Take a gill net, or make a gill net from paracord inner strands?

A few contestants in the US version have taken the optional tarp, and used it as a skin for a canoe for fishing in deeper water.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I considered the sling shot. Problem was you get 1 band. in the US version you get two. A band can last for 50 or 5000 shots and when it goes there no chance of mending unless you take the elastic out of your trolleys. For that reason I went for the bow, It doesnt say on the UK list but on the US one you get nine arrows, a mix of blunts and broad heads if you want. The blunts would easy do the job of the slingshot

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
@Broch I don't think I'd waste my time trying to shoot squirrels with a sling shot. I'm not anywhere near as accurate enough. I'd snare them I think... I think they're too small a yield of energy to be worth the effort of hunting them. They're not like the porky buggers seen in town parks in the uk .

I'd concentrate on fishing, using the gill net and improvising a rod and reel set up. I did wander why they didn't launch the gill net into deeper water, securing it to the bank?

I'm also thinking about what type of shelter I'd build. While there's a fair bit time to fill keeping me occupied, I'd be aware of the calorie expenditure building it! I'd probably go all out on day one to get a good enough shelter built while I have good energy.

I'm also wandering if anyone employs a 'rest/recovery' plan into their survival plan......?
The best thing about the shelter is that you can build a basic one and then improve it as you go along. Not thought about rest and recovery. I was just gona grow a beard and go for it hell for leather, x

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
interesting. whats the plan or thinking with the food rations?
I'll take the food rations because then I'm not flapping about a calorie source every day. If I catch a fish, that's a days worth of biltong or pemmican I've saved for another day. I could probably just arrive, build a shelter, procure water and then sit next to my fire most of the day, nibbling on about 200g of meat and I'll easy last about 20 odd days. It's a strategy game after all.

Reactions: stonepark

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
The best thing about the shelter is that you can build a basic one and then improve it as you go along. Not thought about rest and recovery. I was just gona grow a beard and go for it hell for leather, x
Some of the shelter efforts were disappointing, as well as the fires.

The Silky saw (either Katanaboy 500 or 650) goes through a 4 inch log in less than 60 seconds, those who had them were generally able to build the better more secure shelters quickly.

Not one appeared to have opted for a long duration overnight fire, Kephart and Nessmuk would have been spinning in their respective graves.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK

The Silky saw (either Katanaboy 500 or 650) goes through a 4 inch log in less than 60 seconds, those who had them were generally able to build the better more secure shelters quickly.

Not one appeared to have opted for a long duration overnight fire, Kephart and Nessmuk would have been spinning in their respective graves.
i think the majority of the shelters were fit for purpose.

An overnight fire isnt really required when you've got a massive sleeping bag though....

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

who are Kephart and nessmuk ?. I would have a bow saw I think

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I'll take the food rations because then I'm not flapping about a calorie source every day. If I catch a fish, that's a days worth of biltong or pemmican I've saved for another day. I could probably just arrive, build a shelter, procure water and then sit next to my fire most of the day, nibbling on about 200g of meat and I'll easy last about 20 odd days. It's a strategy game after all.
its a very good point and one I had considered. my idea would have been to use a food ration in the early days to focus on the shelter and the lay of the land etc but I figured If I was going to try and stay a long time then a survival item would be a better choice. I did look at what each person form the show chose and a few of them took the food and they all ended up hungry anyway.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
i think the majority of the shelters were fit for purpose.

An overnight fire isnt really required when you've got a massive sleeping bag though....
An overnight fire would keep animals away. Some contestants had strong shelters and were protected so maybe didnt need one. You can light an upside down fire which burns for ages and you would have a fire in the morning

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
Stonepark what were your ten items?
1 - Hunting (Survival) Knife - Multi Use 2 - Saw (Katanaboy) - More efficient than axe 3 - 550 Paracord - multi use 4 - Multi Season Sleeping Bag - cold out there 5 - Frying Pan - simple cooking 6 - Water Bottle - carry water 7 - Ferro Rod Set - light fire 8 - Fishing Line Set - catch fish, multi use, make gill net, snares, etc 9 - 2kg Beef Jerky - 10 days rations - high protein (long lasting energy, bait crayfish traps 10 - 2kg Pemmican - 10 days rations - survival food -

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE