alone in the wilderness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Not one to watch much on the tv me, but was given a dvd that i watched last night. Alone in the wilderness follows the story of Dick Proenneke as he builds a cabin and lives alone for a year. Dont know if anyone else has seen this , i found it fascinating viewing

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Yeah it's a goody alright, amazing guy, watched Alaska silence and solitude a while ago which features a visit to Dick 25 years on from alone in the wilderness.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Both the videos and the books are great. The National Park Service has published more of his journals and it is available in a huge (50MB) pbf file online.

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/lacl/proenneke.pdf

The first book "One Man's Wilderness" is very good. The voice over in the documentary is essentially right from the text.

An amazing fellow.

I tried to get hold of the books today with no luck , but the publisher says they should be back in print in a couple of weeks , have to agree though he seems an amazing guy.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I really like the original book. The NPS publication is also very good but a bit drier as it follows his journal enties to the letter. Apparently the NPS is working on another edtion covering a different time span.

"One Man's Wildeness" only covers Dick's first 18 months....some of the most interesting times as the cabin was being built and other discoveries taking place. The NPS publication covers a series of years where a major effort was underway turning Lake Clark into a national park. Dick must have almost felt like an air traffic controller some days with the number of visits etc to his quiet lake.

I find the DVD to be as interesting every time I view it as the first time I saw it.

A few years back there were quite a few people peddling the book for huge sums....don't pay over the cover price, it will be out again I am sure.

The NPS publication might be out of print...but the download is free....not easy to read but free. They put this out in large format paper and it is a nice to have, but the original book is the best of the lot in my view (at least to date).

I have a couple of reviews over at JM's should anyone care....

http://www.outdoors-magazine.com/spip.php?page=article&id_article=206

http://www.outdoors-magazine.com/spip.php?page=article&id_article=319

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
I've watched this a number of times, it is very relaxing and the guys craftmanship is amazing.

I wonder if I could build a 'Log Shed' down the garden. :)

Stu

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I've watched this a number of times, it is very relaxing and the guys craftmanship is amazing.

I wonder if I could build a 'Log Shed' down the garden. :)

Stu

Have to agree with you there ,the way he carved his door hinges was incredible. He must of been a great guy to have met, not many are so lucky to live their dream like that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE