Allan Blade Bushcrafter D2 - Bocote scales

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I received this knife a week or so ago but did not get to post a review, busy studying for the hunting exam (it went fine).

The communication with Allan was stellar. I ordered this piece a coupe of months ago, before Allan had to take some time off from the shop. He always kept me informed on the progress and was quick to respond. My original order was for an O1 version, with a 1/3 grind and a bocote handle. He contacted me 2.5 weeks ago and told me that he had a spare blade in D2 in 1/3 grind with a Paul Bos heat treat and could deliver that a bit faster. Since I had no D2 blade, I decided to go for that one. I was not dissapointed:

side_view.jpg

My first notice was that the knife felt very light, certainly in comparison with the Woodlore. The combination of a 3 mm blade, the hidden tang and the Bocote scales makes up for a very maneuverable package. Add to that an edge that starts at the handle and you have the ultimate controllable wood carver.

The handle scales are shaped top notch. My main complaint with a lot of bushcraft knives is that they have a lot of blade but let you down on handle size. You will certainly notice this when you use the knife for more than a bit of whittling. As much as I like my WS and Alan Wood woodlore, I think that the handles like done on Allan's knives and the OSF are simply better for longer/intense use:

top_view.jpg

This weekend, there was time for a bit of bushcraft. I decided to carve a handdrill from some Clematis from the winter stash to see how the knife would feel 'in the field'. Spring is always a nice time to start with blistery hands :) Before that, I quartered a chicken and a couple of carrots - kitchen or camp cooking duty so to speak.

handdrill.jpg

The edge holding was superb. The clematis had been drying inside for a couple of months and was quite tough. I cut another notch after the picture was taken. The knife was almost as sharp afterwards as it arrived - it still partially shaved and no chips or dents in the edge. A bit better edgeholding than my WS Woodlore I would say, but judging from one test, that does not mean much.

I took it to my sharpening pad to give it a razor edge again and noticed that the D2 steel gives a bit more difficulty with my standard sharpening setup (sandpaper/leather on wood). For the final edge, I ran it along my ceramic V-sharpener and that did the trick. For me, this means that the edge is maintainable enough to go with me in the field.

Finally, the Kydex sheath is great. A good snap fit, no rattling and a nice, workable high carry on the belt. The upside down carry choice that kydex gives would make this D2 knife a nice choice on canoe trips.

The price? About 110$. That is in my book a steal.

Thanks Allan!
-Emile

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Fine looking knife ,does Allan make these with a full tang ?

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Fine looking knife ,does Allan make these with a full tang ?

I don't know for sure, but he probably will make them with a full width tang, too. The mortised tang version is very comfortable, though.

-Emile

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I had one of his mortised tang Field Puukko's and it was very nice but i prefer the weight and balance of a full tang.
I really like the full gind he did on your bushcrafter.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
MagiKelly said:
In my experiance Allan makes them any way you want. He made a full tang, flat ground Bushcrafter for Jake, although the flat grind part was a mistake on Jake's part.

That's what I was thinking about today ... I'm almost ready to order my AB Bushcrafter, but I'm not completely certain about the grind ... scandi or flat ...
Did read a lot of threads - it made me dazzle ... :rolleyes:

What makes the flat grind "inferior" / why was it a "mistake" by Jake??
Please enlighten me ;) :cool: :D

Emile - Prachtig mes heb je!! Komt schitterend uit in de foto's!
Really looks great mate - as do the pics!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hey Johan...

Johns right. I said "full flat grind" instead of "scandi grind"! It worked out ok though as im convexing it. Great build though, he's a superb maker. And the prices are, as always said, unbelievable.

Cheers...

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Ahjno said:
What makes the flat grind "inferior" / why was it a "mistake" by Jake??
Please enlighten me ;) :cool: :D

a flat grind is harder to control when cutting wood. Since that's what so much of bushcraft involves most people go for a scandi grind. A flat grind will slice better though so is more popular in kitchen/hunting type tasks. I did a review of a knife made By Shing which went into detail a bit. Do a search for Shing field knife.

I'd bought other knives before I saw these bushcrafters, if I hadn't I would be using one ;)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Jake & Andy,

Thanks a lot for the info guys!
A scandi grind it'll be! :D - Andy is absolutely right by saying bushcraft is mostly about cutting wood, so for veggies and other kitchen work (like skinning) I've got a small folder (Opinel style, but lots cheaper: bought it in a french Intermarché :D for only 5 Euro :eek: )

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Andy said:
a flat grind is harder to control when cutting wood. Since that's what so much of bushcraft involves most people go for a scandi grind. A flat grind will slice better though so is more popular in kitchen/hunting type tasks. I did a review of a knife made By Shing which went into detail a bit. Do a search for Shing field knife.

I'd bought other knives before I saw these bushcrafters, if I hadn't I would be using one ;)

At he risk of heresy and being burned at the campfire,I use a knife for all the above mentioned tasks.Cooking in the 'field' is more important to me than the ability to whittle a bungalow and 4x4 from the woods.
If i exclusively used my bushcraft knife for woodwork I would insist on a scandi grind.but I dont. I use it for ANY cutting task that is required.Until a couple of years ago I always had a hollow ground knife and managed all tasks including carving with it. The ability to sharpen and maintain an edge has always been more important to me than the grind.

Having said that,its a very very nice knife.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Oooh, those knives look pretty sweet. I don't actually have a knife of that style and never have, so it might be worth getting one of those if they're reasonably priced... I'd quite like to try out that woodlore-esque design that everyone here seems to enjoy!

I'm sure there are links around somewhere, but any info on pricing etc.?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE