All weather coating…

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Morning all,

I’ve got an older night vision scope that is covered with that rubberised coating manufacturers seem obsessed with.

It’s now decaying and is pretty sticky and unpleasant to handle.

Any ideas how to remove it? Have anyone had any luck with getting it off before?

Thanks

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Is it a thick coating or just a thin covering? WD-40 is good for getting sticky stuff off hard surfaces.
It’s a relatively thin coating, I’ll try some WD40. I’ve tried scraping it off but it seems to reawaken the substance to be even more potent

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've had the same problem with a couple of older optical devices but I've had no success in permanently stopping it. I've come to the conclusion that it's a chemical reaction in the material and just taking the surface off achieves nothing; it just comes back. With more knowledge I guess it may be possible to stabilise it with some other chemical process.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
A heat gun. That'll get it off. Although I suppose with an NVG you'll want to be super super careful!

As for removing the stickiness? I assume it's the substance that is keeping the rubberised cover on the metal? Alcohol wipes may do it? Or ethanol?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The same thing is happening to the scales of an old folder of mine. Judging by the amount of black crud which collects in my handkerchief I think probably the best way to get it all off will be to keep it in your pocket.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funny this should come up :)
Last week on another forum I asked for advice because two brollies and a screwdriver had all developed the dreaded sticky handles.
Lots of advice and none really got to grips with it....until Benp1 said to try IPA and use a rag not tissue paper or something that would shred into fibres. He said even old socks would do.

He was right :D and it works. It does need a decent rag and it takes patient rubbing, but the brollies and the screwdriver are de-stickified and now useable again :)

I'm reliably informed that it works on those soft folding eyepieces on binos too.

Reactions: SaraR and Wildgoose

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I don't know if it is rubber or not but usually rubber oxidizes to dark powder not sticky. Stickines implies depolymerisation that happens seldom in rubber but fairly often in some (usually cheap low grade ones) polyurethanes. I have had that happen to some shoe outer soles. Repolymerising it would be kind of tricky I guess (where is the resident organic chemist) so cleaning it off would be the easier option, I would start experimenting with acetone or MEK.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Funny this should come up :)
Last week on another forum I asked for advice because two brollies and a screwdriver had all developed the dreaded sticky handles.
Lots of advice and none really got to grips with it....until Benp1 said to try IPA and use a rag not tissue paper or something that would shred into fibres. He said even old socks would do.

He was right :D and it works. It does need a decent rag and it takes patient rubbing, but the brollies and the screwdriver are de-stickified and now useable again :)

I'm reliably informed that it works on those soft folding eyepieces on binos too.

IPA Ale? IPA glue? Isopropyl alcohol? :) - only kidding.

I have used alcohol and, yes, it did remove the stickiness from the surface, but only for a short while - within weeks it was back again :(

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Thanks all.
The body of the device is plastic with the coating applied.
I’ll try some IPA and some rubbing, if that fails I’ll break out the nitromoors and some cotton buds

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE