All poultry subject to compulsory registration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
An announcement has been made that all birds (other than caged pets that aren't allowed out) will be subject to compulsory registration in England, Wales and Scotland. This includes poultry, birds of prey etc.

Here's what we know so far

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
How are they going to register the 100 million plus wild birds that carry the flu as they fly about and what are they going to do about it... nothing.... same logic as all have to wear masks to prevent COVID spreading, even tough the COVID virus is 1000 times smaller than holes in the material through which you breathe.......

This is about protecting the large pountry industry by having the information to wipe out those who if necessary can support themselves in the event of food carbon rationing... remember these people think long term ... could result in all heir loom birds being killed, resulting in nothing left but commercial stock.....

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
No, "they" really don't. That's the trouble.
No "they" really do, but it based on their aims and objectives which are often not those of the majority.

Whether poultry, carbon, energy, ulez, etc "they" spend years working away aligning policies, priorities and direction and such that once it arrives and affects you, it is presented as normal and unstoppable.

Reactions: HillBill
Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
Over here we have many with large platforms in positions of influence who have, in some peoples' opinions, quite mastered the art of using feigned stupidity as a form of camouflage to hide their true selves from the undereducated masses. That may not be limited to just over here
Yes, I think it's become easier for people generally to write it off as stupidity rather than entertain a more uncomfortable alternative. We tend to tolerate gentle criticism of the 'powers that be', but anything beyond that is usually met with disapproval.

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
I think our ideas of what constitutes short-term thinking may differ by several decades. But I would not wish to upset Tony, so personally I'm going no further with this unless I have something pertinent to say about poultry. ;)

Reactions: Toddy and Tony

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
But I would not wish to upset Tony

Chicken. ;)

I'm not sure if you're talking about different things. Government often works on very short term but people influencing them often much longer. But they could quite rightly blame the public as most people want cheap food so factory farmed chicken etc.

I still haven't seen much about this so I doubt it'll stop people keeping noisy chickens but it would put off sensible people from breeding rare breed poultry as they will be far more aware of regs. Worst of both worlds.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good.

The number if noise complaints I deal with fuel to poultry, especially cocks kept in urban / semi-urban locations is high and ever increasing

Next street around from us they had a problem with rats. There were no problems before two people decided to keep chickens. They decided to free range them in their gardens but throw seed down for them too. Of course the local wild birds took the opportunity to feed too.

Lot of folks fill hanging bird feeders too though.

I think it's complex, especially in suburban areas.
I do feel that folks like smallholders end up bearing an awful lot of the hassle when they have neither the limitations re neighbours literally on their doorstep, or funds to pay for commercial licences, etc., like the huge chicken farms do.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
When I kept hens in a suburban garden we didn't have any problem with rats until the neighbours cleared out there garden and all their rats came into ours (they threw out lots of food for the birds).

I wouldn't say our hens were quiet but they didn't play loud music, use leaf blowers, have smelly BBQs or all the other things people do.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
All seems a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted to me.

After bird flu entering wild and migrating bird populations there is little can be done to contain it in any meaningful way.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All seems a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted to me.

After bird flu entering wild and migrating bird populations there is little can be done to contain it in any meaningful way.
Totally agree. It also completely ignores the full review of bio security & farm inspection that the government commissioned

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE