Alexanders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Saw them being prepared and cooked at the museum of welsh life, a few years ago when the sealed knot had a large muster there, and were putting on demonstrations in some of the buildings . They said that during the english civil war that the alexander was a staple. Never got to try some though as they were adding it to a slow stew of some sort.

Loads grow in coastal locations. Like wild fire actaully.

When we visit friends in Suffolk we use the sweeter, softer, bottom 200mm or so. Any really fibrous strands are pulled off. The earlier in the season you can eat them the better - They just become too bitter and tough. These are washed, steamed and butter, salt and pepper is added. Its a great veg to have as a side dish or just on it's own. The flowers (later in the season can be made into fritters, but I haven't tried this dish.)

Yum...!

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
It's quite pungently aromatic (sort of like celery or lovage on steroids) and very perfumed raw. When cooked though, the flavour tempers greatly and will it can reduce almost to a puree in a soup or stew if the shoots are young. I think it's good stuff for a spring forage but make sure you don't confuse them with other deadly umbellifers (Apiaceae) such as hemlock or hemlock water dropwort.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Alexanders?

A great favourite of my Grandparents, they absolutely adored his Ragtime Band.

Sorry - I just had to... :D

Liam

Jumbalaya

Tenderfoot
Whole plant edible at some point in its 2-year life-cycle. Flower buds (15th century salad delicacy). Leaves and stems cooked - right up to early 1800s. Root at end of year 1 or start year 2 - cooked. WHole plant somewhat aromatic - to the point of being vile tasting for some folks.The large black-brown seeds have an almost cardamom-like quality and can be used fore seasoning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE