Aldi wood turning Lathe....special offer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay I did wood turning at school. This was about 40 years ago or more.

I would really like "baby's first lathe" to have another go.

Is this okay for a starter bit of kit?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Okay I did wood turning at school. This was about 40 years ago or more.

I would really like "baby's first lathe" to have another go.

Is this okay for a starter bit of kit?

It would probably do you Hugh... like the grinder/linisher Aldi does.

Not the best but it'll do the job but you would do best getting some better tools

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
It looks very similar to my first lathe; basic but perfectly capable. Great for spindle work and OK for bowls with a bit of care and ingenuity.

My only (minor) gripe was having to muck about with the drive belts to change spindle speed. That said you'll never find one with a variable speed motor at that price.

jandude

Jan 11, 2013
Cambs
That's the same as mine except mine's got an electronic speed controller, not manual pulley change. Mine came with a face plate and centre spur. But it is a different make (or no-make! And about 10 years old). You should be able to turn a 9 inch bowl, iirc.

It's good enough to start on. The tool rest and end spindle are not the easiest to set accurately because of the crude fixing levers but its more capable than I am! Got it from a friend who emigrated - bought the contents of his garage and really fancied a wood lathe but never had the time or patience to learn how to do it. Am pondering whether to move mine on, in honesty, just coz I don't use it.

But for the price I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything better than the Aldi one.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Hugh & all, depending on your budget....my brother was cluing me up that you can get a fairly serious 2nd hand Record lathe on ebay for £150.00. Solid bit of engineering which heavy duty and maybe offer a bigger diameter on bowls. I think you can change the gearing on a record as well, which comes into pay when bowl turning and other jobs (it's been a while).

But if janjude has got one of these he's obviously best to advise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE