Aldi clobber - incl poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Aldi have some fishing gear at the mo' - jumper, fleece etc.

I bought a fleece earlier in the year and wear it a lot - not to the water yet - don't fancy christening it with fish snot just yet.

I bought a poncho - quite pleased with it for 9 quid. Not so big as the German military one I use so it'll be easier to cast whilst wearing. I guess being less voluminous it might be better for wombling in the woods too.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have just had the Mrs pick up a poncho for me on her way to work - I will give my impressions of it once I get to play with it :)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Bag's been purchased, apparently it looks pretty good quality. Approx 20X12X11". I shall let you know what I think of it when it arrives with me on Sunday.

edited: Forgot to mention, next Thursday they've got fleece base layers for 8 quid, I'll let you know what they're like if I manage to get some.

Last edited:

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I visited Aldi earlier this morning, wasn't at all impressed with the bag tho' it looked good in the pic. This cheap one I have is miles better (cost me £12:90p off Amazon a while back), I've used it a few times for fishing over in the local park and on the canal, excellent for the price, the Aldi material one is as thick as a slice of ham. I bought the poncho, looks okay, near double the weight of this I bought last December but haven't used it yet.

Looking forward to trying both out but circumstances at home are holding me back.

Must mention that the Aldi poncho has no eyelets.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well - the poncho looks fine for the money - solidly made and decent weight proofed polyester - and it seems big enough to be practical.
It is not raining yet but I will give it a go when the skies do open :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well now it is blowing hard with horizontal rain ...
The poncho is waterproof! but the hood lacks cordlocks on the drawcord and there is no waist cord to help control the poncho in the wind.
Not as wide as some ponchos this one let my shirt cuffs get wet and the neck hole is tight ... but there is rom for a small day pack under the back.
I think I will pack a light weight belt with the poncho and I will be sorted :)
Not bad for the price :)

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Thanks John - good to know.

I'll find some cordlocks for mine and make sure I put a hank of paracord in my tackle bag should I need a waistcord. That said, I think there's a six foot piece in there already. My tacklebag is like Mary Poppins' carpet bag - loads of wierd and wonderful things in it.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Bag arrived this morning, I'm pleased with it, for a tenner (or thereabouts) I think it's spot on.

Capacity is somewhere in the region of about 40 litres, so plenty big enough to use as a weekend bag. Stitching looks good throughout but is lacking reinforcement in areas where it should have some, but it's no big deal to just run it through the sewing machine a few times.

It's long enough to fit a GB SFA easily.

I'm gonna pick another one up next week if they have any left.

Cheers,

Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE