Alder catkins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Today I saw some small catkins hanging from some alser trees near where I live. I want to know if these are left over from earlier in the year, or is THIS the time that they start to grow.

Also, is the yellow pollen (at least I think its pollen) that they contain edible, because it certainly IS tasty.

Thanks in advance.
Stu.

Well, I can't say about alder...,or about trees in the U.K. as I've never been there, but when my oldest daughter and I were out on a hike at the end of summer we found these Black Birch catkins. I'd think they may have been from earlier in the year as these were found a couple of months ago. Were there any leaves at all left on the Alder trees?

OddConifertree-3.jpg

OddConiferTree-5.jpg

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Well, I can't say about alder...,or about trees in the U.K. as I've never been there, but when my oldest daughter and I were out on a hike at the end of summer we found these Black Birch catkins. I'd think they may have been from earlier in the year as these were found a couple of months ago. Were there any leaves at all left on the Alder trees?

OddConifertree-3.jpg

OddConiferTree-5.jpg

Nope, no leaves.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Petty sure these are seeds, that is what grows from the female flower later in the year rather than catkins, the male flower that produces pollen early in the spring. I would expect catkins forming on alder, hazel and birch by this time of year, but I'll have a check today locally.

If you could do that for me Robin I would be very greatfull. Any more info you have on the catkins at THIS time of year would be great mate.

Stu

Long Stride

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2006
Dundee
Some pictures I took last Sunday.
I am afraid Jack Frost got there first :)

Catkins

catkins1.jpg

Catkins2.jpg

Cones

cone1.jpg

Cones and Catkins

ConeCatkins.jpg

Stu, I am sure the Catkins have been there since Late Summer Early Autumn

Long Stride

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE