Alabama Rot Dog Deaths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks for the update Wayne, its worrying that it seems to be spreading away form the New Forest.

Louis

Seems to be all over. Cornwall, Swindon. But cases are very limited. Still, not a nice disease at all. I nearly lost my older Jack Russell to lungworm a few years ago, just didn't understand why I had a shallow breathing, panting dog. The vet was clueless, and very dismissive when I suggested lungworm. Cost me a fortune in X-rays and drugs before I simply demanded some worming tablets.

I walk mine in the woods around the South Downs and on the Goodwood Estate, I'll keep an eye on them.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thats terrible, I take my dog to the woods everyday. Which is like a mudpit. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I'd never heard of it before.

One thing it doesnt mention is whether it can be passed from one dog to another?

All the water in my woods is being flushed from the farmers fields higher up. Maybe slurry, pesticides, etc are the culprit?

Run off from farmers fields certainly kills fish populations.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Nasty stuff and there's really little help that can be offered, I'd probably not even see skin damage on our dog unless he lost fur as well... It's been round for over 30 years and there's still very little known about it...

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The evidence thus far is that it is not passed on from one dog to another and that several dogs walked in the same location do not always become infected. Sadly too little is currently known about and dogs are dying quickly all over the country.

There doesn't seem much that we as dog owners can do other than be aware of any symptoms and act fast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE