Airlines and Rucksacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Triplestitch

Jan 25, 2014
New Caledonia
What is the best way to protect an internal-frame pack from the savages of air travel? My 65L pack is too large for a carry-on, but I would like to find it intact upon arriving at my destination, if possible.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Stick it in a clear heavy duty plastic sack. I was provided with one by Finnair when leaving Finland.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'm not sure of laws etc

But I have a big Ortileb dry bag, it's really heavy duty, so I gets that sort of thing would protect your sack!

Hope this helps :).

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Take a couple of heavy duty rubble bags (from B&Q etc.) stick your pack in one, place the open end of the first bag into the second bag and wrap up the resulting package with some gaffa tape (take a smaller amount of gaffa wrapped around a permanent marker or similar).

It is a good idea to have the grab handle of your rucksack (or suitable bit of spare webbing strap) sticking out of the package so the baggage handlers have something to grab.

Save the gaffa at the other end for the return trip, use the rubble bags to keep your kit dry in the pack while you are there.

Certain airport authorities (Africa for instance) sometimes want to see the contents of your pack before you enter the terminal building so do not wrap it until you are safely inside.

This setup has worked for me for years, if nothing else I don't have too much extra weight to carry at my destination.

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Lots of good advice here. The Ortlieb is best but most expensive as the bag will get holed. I tend to do what Sandbender/ID does if a pack needs to go in. Cardboard boxes are also good if you have the weight to play with.

Can you take the frame out of your pack easily? If so, you can take the 65 as hand luggage and look after it-as long as it squashes easily into the 50 odd litre cabin size restriction, it's fine. Put the pack stays in the hold. It's another option anyway.
I don't like putting my main pack in the hold and try to avoid it.

Last trip, I bought a wheeled suitcase for a fiver from a charity shop to avoid having to put my pack in the hold. I cached it in the woods in sulo bin liner and picked it up on the return. All my kit was put into rubble bags inside the case so if the suitcase got nicked, I could still rubble sack and tape my pack back home again.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Most airports other than the fun little ones in remote places have plastic wrapping machines. It only costs a couple of ££ and you get your pack wrapped in the same sort of heavy duty stretchy plastic wrapping that they use for keeping the contents of pallets in place. It wraps all of the loose bits of a pack safely out of the way so they gon't get caught on machinery and seems to do a pretty good job.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
I must be very lucky or stupid but my rucksack has never had any kind of security cover on it and I have travelled all over Europe , New Zealand , Australia and Middle East and it has never been tampered with or damaged.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Take a couple of heavy duty rubble bags (from B&Q etc.) stick your pack in one, place the open end of the first bag into the second bag and wrap up the resulting package with some gaffa tape (take a smaller amount of gaffa wrapped around a permanent marker or similar).

It is a good idea to have the grab handle of your rucksack (or suitable bit of spare webbing strap) sticking out of the package so the baggage handlers have something to grab.

Save the gaffa at the other end for the return trip, use the rubble bags to keep your kit dry in the pack while you are there.

Certain airport authorities (Africa for instance) sometimes want to see the contents of your pack before you enter the terminal building so do not wrap it until you are safely inside.

This setup has worked for me for years, if nothing else I don't have too much extra weight to carry at my destination.

Exactly the same here

I once went on a trip with a brand new karimoor inependance with no protection at all...after half a dozen airports it looked like i'd had it 10 years

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
The wrapping service provided by some airports as mentioned above are very good and well worth the couple of quid. Not only does it protect the bag but also discourages any "tampering."

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
The wrapping service provided by some airports as mentioned above are very good and well worth the couple of quid. Not only does it protect the bag but also discourages any "tampering."

I agree with Robbi I work at Gatwick Airport and that is the best way to protect your Rucksack by using the wrapping service they just wrap it with a cling-film and by doing so at least when you arrive at your destination at least you will have both your straps to put it on your back, some of the packs I've seen arrive with straps missing where they have been jammed in the baggage belt machinery 'Not Good'

Happy Travelling! :cool:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I made an 8' by 4' ish stuff sack out of 4oz nylon as a "pack pack sack" with a grab handle on the outside and with a fold down tie tight closure.
This doubles as a bivi, gear store or flotation.
Lasted for years it did!

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Just never travel by DELTA Airlines ( Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive) A trip to Florida to backpack back around the Gulf coast and then up to CA saw My pack in......NEW YORK!........after 4 days in the same god forsaken Motel ( courtesy of Delta) I was ready to die...., thank goodness the motel had a bar and a pool! One tip I learned is this... NEVER under any circumstances leave anything in your pack you cannot live without, such as your credit cards and driving licence for example... glad i had $150 in cash.......

Jan 12, 2015
United Kingdom
Every time I have travelled with my rucksack it's had to go in oversized luggage. All I do with it is tie up all the straps so they're not flapping around and then fold the waist straps around the bag so they too don't flap around. Never had a problem with it at all.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...NEVER under any circumstances leave anything in your pack you cannot live without..."

I can add to that, always wear, or have available in your carry on gear, clothes that are suitable for your destination (at all hours) or indeed any possible unscheduled stop overs between your point of departure and destination. :)

garethw

Settler
Check these out....

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/aeroplane-cover-id_4382082.html

big_592f85240bc643a29592a2a8e06f2841.jpg

cheers
Gareth

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just never travel by DELTA Airlines ( Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive) A trip to Florida to backpack back around the Gulf coast and then up to CA saw My pack in......NEW YORK!........after 4 days in the same god forsaken Motel ( courtesy of Delta) I was ready to die...., thank goodness the motel had a bar and a pool! One tip I learned is this... NEVER under any circumstances leave anything in your pack you cannot live without, such as your credit cards and driving licence for example... glad i had $150 in cash.......

I've never had any of the airlines lose my luggage; YET! That said, it does happen regularly enough to be a valid warning. Indeed the airlines themselves warn not to put valuables such as cameras, jewelry, etc. in checked baggage. However I'd question why anybody would ever have their credit cards, driver's license, etc. anywhere other than in their wallet, in their pocket anyway?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE