Ageing process.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I've recently acquired a dozen bird nesting boxes which are home made but unfortunately painted in bright 'what a pretty garden'..colours..:) A failed Sunday boot Fair project by someone I fear. I can strip/burn the paint off but I want to steer clear of painting them again in either some kind of preservative or non toxic paint, but I've been told that a strange recipe of natural yoghurt, water and horse dung..seriously..painted on will promote a rapid growth of algae and act as natural camo.

I've recently purchased a small area of woodland which is within a very much larger wooded area. The selling agent has used a water solvent paint on some trees to mark my boundry and it's my intention to use the bird boxes as my boundry markers for when the paint washes off.

I understand that a similar recipe was used on a television programme recently with regard to ageing brick work in one of those house buying features, but not having owned a televison for 15 years I miss these enthralling entertainments.
Anyone got a secret recipe for rapid ageing, so that I can get the boxes up and looking fairly inviting for Spring nesting by the feathered squatters?..:)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
You'll probably find that the colours put you off more than it will the birds. Just make sure they're well attached and nowhere that cats can get at.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
You'll probably find that the colours put you off more than it will the birds. Just make sure they're well attached and nowhere that cats can get at.

True, but nailing up lime green and pink gloss painted nest boxes does'nt sit easily with my ideas of leaving no trace.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The natural yoghurt and horse manure method is a good one. Lichens and other things will grow quickly on the surface with that smeared on.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I'm not sure why you are against re-painting but if it were me I would get a can of black line marking paint and spray the lot in about 5 minutes flat?

Steve.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Never mind the colour, are the boxes going to be squirrel and woodpecker proof? If not, you may as well just use them for kindling and make something more substantial.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
12 mm ply...some I will fit with nest box plates. Squirrel proof too, unless the squirrels come equipped with a Phillips screwdriver to remove the lids..:)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Thanks JD, I'll be off to the health food shop and stables tomorrow. :)

If you get some sphagnum moss and lightly rub it on the yughurt/horsepoo paint, it will, withinn a few weeks look old and start to grow it's own mossy coat the spores will attach to the paint and the yoghurt will act as a food encouraging rapid growth. (Use live yoghurt - greek style and not the chemical fruit yoghurts).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE