Advice on pine cones please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
I've never used pine cones before so last night i thought i'd try a couple on the fire. Now i obviously did something wrong as before i knew it they were popping and spitting all over the place like little firecrackers going off! :confused:

How do you use them properly please?

Thanks,

Boosh.

PS: Why do i have that niggling feeling this should be in the stupid question section!? :eek:

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Did you use open or closed ones?

I have never experienced what you are talking about. I generally use the dry, open ones I find on the ground. But closed ones doesn't seem to be a problem either.

Did you use green ones perhaps?

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
It depends on which species of cone you used. Some species depend on fire to spread their seeds, and these will generally pop and crack when they feel the heat. Most times though I've had no problems. I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Just keep trying and see if you can find cones from different types of tree to experiment with.

Eric

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
Thanks for the replies, in fairness i was using closed ones that probably were'nt bone dry. :rolleyes: Could'nt find any dry ones but i thought the heat from the fire would dry them out quick enough.

No matter, we can but persevere!

Thanks again,

Boosh.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE