advice on boots for borneo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bush Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2009
New Forest
I'm off to Borneo for 3 months of jungle trekking with Raleigh International soon, can anyone advice on good footwear. Have read reviews of Magnums here but they appear to have a new model. So under consideration:

Magnum Anaconda - if i can find a uk stockist hopefully reasonablly priced approx £80, good reviews
Army surplus - found new uk on ebay, around £30
Lowa Jungle - already wear and like Lowas, possibly a better general boot than jungle? approx £125.

thoughs appreciated, cheers, matt

Bush Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2009
New Forest
the Altbergs look good too, anywhere down south i could try them on?

i've seen the course but i'm working as the adventure project manager from June - Sep & will prob want some luxury after that. once i'm a bit more sorted will post my kit list, cheers

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
the Altbergs look good too, anywhere down south i could try them on?

i've seen the course but i'm working as the adventure project manager from June - Sep & will prob want some luxury after that. once i'm a bit more sorted will post my kit list, cheers
Not the Jungles - I had to order mine direct. I believe Taunton Leisure sell their standard boots so you can get an idea of how their sizing works. At the time I bought mine they didn't so I ended up ordering 2 pairs in adjacent sizes, and sending back the ones that didn't fit for a refund (less postage)

If you join their free 'owners club' or whatever it's called on the web site you get a discount which in my case negated the extra postage cost :)

rooster

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 14, 2009
London
Don't have anything to add on the boots front but sounds like you have an awesome trip planned. I did something similar in Honduras a few yrs back and its all happy memories

Best of luck mate, you will have a great time. Perhaps the trip deserves a thread of its own?!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I used a pair of Altberg Jungle Microlites when I went to Borneo. They were superb: very comfy and light and yet supportive underfoot.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
We just had the US jungle boot. Worked fine and cheap
Don't expect them to survive the trip so get cheap that fits properly
Have fun

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Have to agree, I used army jungle boots in Venezuela and didn't let me down like they say they will get trashed and whats 30 apposed to 125 and I sure you have other things to buy

Just enjoy

Bush Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2009
New Forest
Thanks guys, gone with the ebay army jungle boots.

I will start a seperate thread with kit list etc when I get my self sorted!

Interestingly BOD, on my assesment with Raleigh we got chatting about kit and the guys who had been to Borneo said exactly the same - too much kit.

Cheers, Matt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE