Advice needed on where to get high carbon steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi

Total novice about to take his first assisted wobbly steps into smithing needs some high carbon steel.

I have been offered some tuition by a pole lathe bowl truner to forge some bowl hooks on the proviso that I bring the steel. However as a complete novice as far as metal goes I'm not sure where to start looking. Car springs have been mentioned but do I turn up at a scrappy and have to dismantle the car to get them? and are there other sources available? Even new? wouldn't know what to ask for!!!! recycled would be more in tune with my feelings though.

Thanks in advance

Leo

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
My grandfather was a blacksmith, we would go to the scrapyards early in the morning and in a half a day he would have collected all the metal we'd need for a few weeks. He would even buy proper rusted metal, he used to say that a good blacksmith can take this and turn it into a beautiful strong blade, it just took more labour but it was cheaper and more plentiful to acquire.

Try also your local recycling site, there's a section usually just for metals.

Recycling sites are awesome, last time I was there I picked up a laptop a company had thrown because they couldn't boot it (boot button was stuck!!!!) but the laptop was in excellent condition.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Hi

Total novice about to take his first assisted wobbly steps into smithing needs some high carbon steel.

I have been offered some tuition by a pole lathe bowl truner to forge some bowl hooks on the proviso that I bring the steel. However as a complete novice as far as metal goes I'm not sure where to start looking. Car springs have been mentioned but do I turn up at a scrappy and have to dismantle the car to get them? and are there other sources available? Even new? wouldn't know what to ask for!!!! recycled would be more in tune with my feelings though.

Thanks in advance

Leo

Who's your turner?

Most local garages and scrapyards will have springs sitting around off cars. Pop round your local garage and ask they normally have broken ones they have taken off in a skip. You want coil springs not leaf springs and the bigger/fatter the better.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
In terms of old tools, there's files, rasps, hammers, chisels (cold and wood). Find them at junk shops, recycling centres, car boot sales etc. They of course vary as to the exact alloy content, but are typically useable if you stick to the older, better-quality ones. Files especially can vary. A rule of thumb is to put an inch over the edge of your anvil and give it a sharp hammer-blow -- if it snaps easily revealing a fine grey surface it's good to go.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
If you dont want too much then go online to http://www.cromwell.co.uk/category_page/160202 and pick up some ground flat stock - they do a massive range of sizes and they will deliver if there is not a shop near you. Its O1 tool steel which when heat treated and tempered will produce a first class cutting edge. Lathe tools sizes vary but 1/2" square or 1/4 x 3/4 " will do if you are unsure.

Cheers
Nick

Thanks Guys, will pester the local garage then and see if they are favourable!

Who's your turner?

Most local garages and scrapyards will have springs sitting around off cars. Pop round your local garage and ask they normally have broken ones they have taken off in a skip. You want coil springs not leaf springs and the bigger/fatter the better.

Robin, the turner is Toni Rossi.

Leo

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
old circular saw blades are great for beggining its where im getting my metal from and is the perfect thickness at 3.2mm all you need to do is cut out the shape and put the grind on and sand down......

job done......

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Thanks Guys, will pester the local garage then and see if they are favourable!

Robin, the turner is Toni Rossi.

Leo

Be interested to hear how you get on I have not heard from anyone who has learned from Toni Ross. I often get asked about where I would recommend folk to learn, since I don't teach forging or turning myself. If you would send me a pm with thoughts, prices etc afterwards that would be appreciated. I have heard good reports from folk who have forged turning tools with Paul Atkin http://paulatkin.wordpress.com/ and Ben Orford http://www.benorford.com/Home.aspx

I think most of the other responses are suggesting steel suitable for knifemaking ie flat bits where you want round bar for turning tools. Most of us who do it seriously buy raw bar since springs tend to be a bit thin but I started on springs and made some good tools with them, very forgiving for learning forging too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE