Adventure stories for teenagers...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its been a long time for me :)

A buddy asked for some suggestions for exciting adventure books aimed at the teenager / young adult market, not necessarily Bushcrafty but for a teenage lad.

My suggestions so far have been "Brendon Chase" by BB (which he loved) and "My side of the mountain" (also a hit).

He didn't like "White Fang" (I suspect because there is no person for him to identify with).

Has anyone got any suggestions of books in that vein?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
12 I think.

I might suggest Huck Finn - not sure if the "old time language" will wash though....

Good thought - thanks

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I liked White Fang, Call of the Wild, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings when I was young.

I read some Mark Twain and some Dickens, after that the reading material was Shakespeare or Steinbeck for exam purposes, and the Racing Post for my Father who's eyes were failing him.

Heartily recommend James Clavell's, James Michener's books and the Warlord and Victor comics.

Miene Kampf and the Bunty were more my sister's cup of tea...

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I had about 10 Willard Price books. They were a fun read but got a bit predictable.

If the lad likes reading he'll rip through them.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Three recomendations can't be bad - I'll pass it on - might get one myself if people suggest them. Are they a series? Or is it just a set of stories connected by an author? If a series can anyone remember the "first one"?

Thanks for the input all

Red

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
The Willard Price stuff is a list of books featuring two brothers who go on different adventures, usually collecting animals for zoos with a couple of odd ones thrown in such as Volcano adventure. There was always a baddie trying to do them in or capturing the animals brutally where the brothers would use softer methods.

They didn't seem to be in any particular chronological order.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
the hobbit is small kids stuff. (though very clever) and best for reading out load

LotR is cumbersome and slow

forestwalker

Land of Feast and Famine (Helge Ingstad).

There should be a bunch of decent (i.e. not Ellis Deerfoot and such racist crap) pioneer stories. Acutally, the Ingalls ones aren't bad, and quite educational.

Kim, don't forget Kim.

Arthur Ransome, good stuff, my daugher *is* Nancy Blackett in some ways (she even got a red cap, I suppose I should start calling her a Redcap...)

The Icelandic Sagas. Dialogue, poetry *and* violence, can't beat that combination.

The Long Ships by Bengtsson

Mallorys Morte d'Arthur? Might be a bit too early, but good tales that give a different perspective on things.

Some of the early polar explorers might be available in suitable editions

Kiplings Jungle Book?

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks guys, I'll look into the Willard stuff and read and pass on one :)

Arthurian stuff is a great idea. I find Morte D'arthur heavy going personally but I recall a book called "Firelord" which was good and Anne MaCaffrey did a good one for young people.

Kipling is a great call - how could I forget Kipling??

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Think he's a bit young for Asimov so far.....I did think about Ringworld but he doesn't have a sci fi type mind yet (shame - I enjoy them)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
the hobbit is small kids stuff. (though very clever) and best for reading out load

LotR is cumbersome and slow

The hobbit is still one of my favourite books, it is most definately not a 'kids book' even if it is read as one sometimes.

LotR is a bit like marmite. You're entitled to your opinion but I read LotR at 13-14 and really enjoyed it. I've also heard a lot of people say it appeals much more to boys than girls.

How about His Dark Materials? The film was pants, and the last book wasn't too good but the first two (Northern Lights (IIRC) and Subtle Knife) were both good.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm there on both the Hobbit and LOTR. He ain't getting my signed copy of the hobbit though :) I loved (and still love) both books - real good vs evil stuff!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE