Adder - Vipera berus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave750gixer

May 3, 2004
scotland
A few years ago I bought a house in rural Fife. It had a large overgrown garden (well small wooded hill really). I started to clear it up including the piles of flood deposited branches in the lee of the tree trunks. Both my dogs were then bitten (i presume by an adder), one envenomated, one not. The envenomated bite was very swollen and painfull but healed ok, no long term effects as far as I could tell.

At that point I stopped clearing up that area. If the snake wanted to be left alone that was fine by me. Never did manage to spot it. Always thought that a sign warning potential burglars "no tresspassing-beware of the venemous snakes" would be cool :lmao:

Arvensis

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2006
Eastleigh
I believe most bites happen by them being picked up! or as others have mentioned, being trampled on. They are so fascinating to watch in the wild here's a pic of one from a local site:
Img_3410.jpg

Mark

dave750gixer

May 3, 2004
scotland
Arvensis said:
I believe most bites happen by them being picked up! or as others have mentioned, being trampled on.

Mark

Forgot to say earlier that both dogs were bitten on the inside "thigh" of rear leg. I presumed they had been running around as usual and trampled over the poor snake.

snock

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2006
Aylesbury.
www.airgunbbs.com
We have a golf course not 100yds away from us, and Adders are numerous on there.
I found one which had been sliced and diced by some of the greenkeepers mowing plant.
My wife saw 5 in one go when she was out walking the dog. They hissed and made her and the dog jump!:D

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
seen 2, one at devizes trapped under a kevlar helmet by a couple of lads from 4 para , other one was sunning its self on a big bit of granite near foxhouse peak district,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,gave them a wide birth inboth cases, lol,

Jan 25, 2005
sunderland
lilelihood on being bitten is extremely slim, Adders will tend to disappear pretty quickly. Mountain biked passed one on Saturday in Northumberland - sunbathing on a forest track - it just sloped off as I watched it, first one I've seen this year!

Nyanja :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE